Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAT 5 Splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinetintl

Vendor
Mar 15, 2010
US
We installed a bridge between to sites on tall towers unfortunetly the access points come with a very short custom built CAT 5 cable that has a round connector on one site and an RJ-45 on the other. We installed a small box at the base of the tower and extended the rest of the way, aprox 100ft, to the computer room and the POE switch with jelly filled CAT 5 cable.
On our initial install we used a female RJ-45 jack with the original RJ-45 plug on the cable and it worked good for a while, then the bridge started to fail and the customer replaced the RJ-45 jack with a plug and used a female to female adapter that is now failing again. Somebody recommended to use gel filled butt connectors but I am not very sure about that or if it is going to have issue with the LAN and POE.
Any recommendation or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RE
APSS - SME
ACIS - SME

I would suggest from your description it is a cable / termination issue. Especially as it has worked before. I would check your cabling again by possibly purchasing a quality cable and make sure you terminate with a quality brand of connector. Possibly from the same manufacturer. Most good installers will also be able to test your connection to ensure it is working for you. May be use a shileded cable also to increase your performance. Adding more connections will give you additional losses so the least amount of connections the better.
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back