Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5 requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chosen

Programmer
Feb 17, 2002
US
I live in a apartment with 3 other people and we all network our computers together. The problem im having is that my room is about 50 feet away ( i mean in the way we would send the cable [cat 5] through the apt. to my room)and i cant get the internet to work in there. We've done it a couple of times and it seems that the signal from the router isnt strong enough. I know that cat 5 cable is good for 330 feet but could it be the signal from the router?? I would love to have my computer in my room. If you have any ideas on what the problem is our ways to fix it let me know please. Thanks

Found something out. When i unplugged everyone from the router, the speed increased and i didnt have any problems, same thing on my bro's machine. I dont know if its the router or Cox (our provider). I guess Cox changed something on thier service and we have yet to change whatever we are suppose to change. What does this sound like to you? Router or Service?

Sounds like maybe a combo of the 2. Some ISP's check the MAC addresses and only allow 1. There is a command, I think on the first page of the web-based config that is something like clone this machine's MAC address. Try setting that and rebooting the router and modem. If that's not it, sounds like the router. Have you tried Netgear Tech support? Call them and tell them without their router your fine, add their router and everyone's speed drops significantly. They would probably know better without seeing it what may be wrong.
Let us know what happens! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Well, due to me being lazy amoung other things, I havent done jack to it...and its working great! Dont know what it was but i havent had any problems...except sometimes in later part of the night i might get slow..but it hasnt happened for a few days so im all good. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP, I FEEL WHOLE AGAIN AND ONE WITH MY COMPUTER ONCE AGAIN!

Have you set the nic cards to 10mb,half duplex. 50 feet away is not the issue.....

Don't forget as more people with cable modems come on line at night you share bandwidth and will slow down, mostly depending on Cox's configeration. We had the same problem here and found our provider was using the same IP scheme as we were so we went to the next octate. Fixed us right up and removed the conflict. Mike

Here is another alternative to 2wire,... toast.net.

i had the same problem a while back and funny thing is i have the exact router, awesome router. you problem is...... your making your own cables. you don't no how. you can't just match the colors up and crimp follow these directions. kinda hard to explain. if you hold the connector in front of u with the flat surface facing up and the pins facing forward, pin 1 is the one on the left. the correct schema is as follows.
pin1 [orange and white]
pin2 [orange]
pin3 [green and white]
pin4 [blue]
pin5 [blue and white]
pin6 [green]
pin7 [brown and white]
pin8 [brown]
this is a stright through cable. try it it'll work

i had the same problem a while back and funny thing is i have the exact router, awesome router. you problem is...... your making your own cables. you don't no how. you can't just match the colors up and crimp follow these directions. kinda hard to explain. if you hold the connector in front of u with the flat surface facing up and the pins facing forward, pin 1 is the one on the left. the correct schema is as follows.
pin1 [orange and white]
pin2 [orange]
pin3 [green and white]
pin4 [blue]
pin5 [blue and white]
pin6 [green]
pin7 [brown and white]
pin8 [brown]
this is a stright through cable. try it it'll work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search