Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5 or 6? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveAudus

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
GB
Does anyone know where get a quick comparison chart between the advantages and disadvantages of CAT 6 over Cat 5 cabling.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

to a layman

Cat5 10/100 (some full duplex issues)
Cat5e 10/100 (duplex resolved)
Cat 6 10/100/1000

WAY more detail is possible but that is the shortest answer

remember just using Cat 5 or 6 parts does not make it a Cat 5 or 6 installation, HOW you install the parts makes the difference

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

If I were cabling a new job I would use cat6. The major cost in the job is the labor.

cat-6 will increase your material cost 50% minimum. It will give you more thru-put and speed but honestly I can't type that fast.

Everything gets FASTER! and FASTER!

Cat. 6 offers a degree of "future proofing" in this context.

Cat. 6 is also more durable due to the fact the pairs are bonded. So it also offers a degree of "bozo proofing" if the intaller is careless.

Yes, there is still a subtantial cost penalty. However, never forget that the labor and other factors typically are more than the cable, so putting in a better cable is warranted to a degree (though following the same logic you should be sure to go all the way and make sure to use Cat. 6 jacks, patch points and proper installation technique).

In any case, the above logic argues strongly against using Cat. 5. At the very least use Cat. 5e from a reputable vendor.

Just my thoughts...

Cat 5e is the minimum standards based solution, so Cat 5 really should not be showing up in new installations.

Between 5e and 6, you will likely see a small increase in cost, 20% or so if you purchase correctly. A fair amount of the cost is labor, yes, hence the reason I suggest raceway as the thing to spend your money on if you expect to futureproof your project.

And, Cat6 is not necessarily bonded pairs, some manufactures do that, many do not.

Good Luck!

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

I'll go as far as to say that I know of only one manufacture that makes (made? due to recent orginizational changes) bonded pair cable. And that was Belden. But now that they are part of Nordx/CDT, I haven't heard if they are using the Belden cable or the Nordx cable (they are using the Nordx product number though).

As for the cost hit, depends on which flavor of Cat6 you go with. I've see the minimally compliant stuff about the same price as Cat5e, and the high end stuff (which will probably end up as Aug6) close to $500/box.
I also imagine that Cat5 cable (not 5e) is getting hard to find as it's no longer recognized as a standard, so I doubt anyone is making it. I know Graybar was trying to get it out of inventory 2 years ago, so I doubt they still have any around.

And I"ll second what jimbo said, in that it isn't just what parts you use, but how you install them.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Thank you everyone for your help,

forget cat5, when I said cat5 I meant 5e, I didn't even think cat5 existed anymore.

Let me get this clear, I can run 1000 over 5e. If I have got the right kit.

But what difference does cat6 make to 10/100,
is it just less collisions?

Thanks for all your help,

Steve

One difference I have notice is the partnering between vendors of cable and terminators (patch cables too). One way to insure CAT6 performance is to maintain pair alignment out of the jacket. One job I went to finish after the Ele#@*!cians laid the cable had two brands of CAT6 cable and Levinton CAT6 jacks. On one type cable (that is blessed by Levinton) the pairs fanned out perfectly and laid with the greatest of ease. The other cable I had to cross 2 pairs to get the alignment right-NOT CAT6.

Why is there never a phone in any of the phone closets?

Naturl;

Very interesting point.

which two pairs? If it was Orange and Green then it would appear that one cable was meant for TIA-569-A T568A (AKA T568A) and the other was for TiA-568-A T568B (AKA T568B).

Naturl;

I've experienced this as well. I've had it happen within 'blessed' manufactures as well though. I think it has more to do with where the lay of the twist is when you cut into it to terminate. Panduits termination method is the one that has the most difference within the same type of cable. Most of the time, the colors lay just right, but occationaly it doesn't quite make it. Usually I'll just cut the jacket back a little further and change my termination point.

Actually, one of the cables that I had the hardest time with was Panduits old partner, Belden. Used their crecent shaped MediaTwist once (emphasis on once!) and it was all wrong! If I remember right, the white/blue was on the outside, and the Panduit jack has the white/blue in the middle.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

'Never warmed up to Panduit either.

In-fact it was the A B pair, however the cable had a spline to seperate the pairs (here we go about A B again). This would be an A cable for Levintons fashion. I am looking at a Systimax (avaya) CAT6 jack and it is like the Levinton as far as this discussion goes. The building I was doing was a business-B. I do concure about 568-A for residential per 570-it makes sense.

I also have been asking (and asking) my supplier for a list of "friends" as far as CAT6 cable matching goes-now we have another item to mix though I don't see CAT6 as a much of a residential issue.

Seeing 568A come back brings memories of when the only way to tell Token-ring from Ethernet at the closet was ethernet was the new B.

Back to the question of advantages and disadvantages, was it answered-we do like to hear ourselves talk...

Yes but, only for a "short" run. I am finding work installing media centers with fiber for clusters. Ex. Instead of 24-200 foot CAT6 runs I run 1-6 strand fiber (cost per foot-6x fiber = 6- CAT6's) out to a new switch and 24 short runs with 5e and it works. I understand not more than 75 feet. I haven't pushed it yet, the CAT5 is much more sensitive to installation practices now. You would need CAT6 if you cannot co-locate expensive equipment out in the new wing or if the short runs get to long or outside of the ranges allowing faster protocols.

Steve, somebody has to use up the old stock of cat5e so go ahead. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Actually, the IEEE says you can run Gigabit speeds over Cat5. The key is that it has to be good quality and installed properly. If you're using low priced components then it's probably not going to work.

That said, the cost of Cat6 components isn't much more than good Cat5/Cat5e, so there's really no reason to go cheap on a new install.

I think this will answer your question. I like it when people quote direct from the standards. Especially the IEEE.

As it says, 1000BASE-T came before category 5e. And don't give me that PowerSum NEXT nonsens because 1000BASE-T does not require the measurement. If you pass Pair to Pair, then PSUM is met.

Cat 6 UTP = 10GBASE-T to may be 55 meters
Cat 6 FTP = 10GBASE-T to 100 meters
Cat5e FTP = hmm. 80 meters?

It's all about ANEXT. Stop bundling those cables so nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back