Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cat 5 for CCTV 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griff58

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
Having never used cat 5 for cctv before I have a couple of questions that I figure you folks will have input on.

I am looking to run 1/3" Sony CCDs over cat 5 for video and power both. My camera supplier does not have baluns so I need a good source for baluns. Also, what kind of distance limitations do we run into? My longest runs will be somewhere around 400'. will that be an issue?

Any better suggestions than what I propose above?

Thank you for your help,
Griff

The only two manufacturers I have used with consistant success are Nitek and NVT. Below is a few places I found with a google search. The cheaper ones I've tried worked in someplaces and not in others.

The specs on the Nitek VB37M and the NVT NV-211T-M say you can go 1000 feet to an analog monitor or 750 feet to a digital video recorder. If you need to go farther both manufacture a powered or active balun(the ones above are non-powered or passive) that will greatly increase the distance.

As for power I'm old school, I don't like to run it on anything lower than 18 gauge(Cat5 is 24 gauge). I do have a few places were my tech didn't run an extra power cable and I twisted the three unused pairs together for power(all the whites for negitive and all the solids for positive). They seem to be working fine, however I do not think any are 400 feet long. Look at your power draw from your camera, make sure you include any heaters, blowers, IRs or anything that you add that takes power. If it is lees than 200 mA you probably will be fine, much more I would pull the extra 18/2 for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back