Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Casio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

posknowitall

Technical User
Dec 2, 2005
US
Does anyone know much about the new(?) Casio line of POS? Seems like it uses Microsoft Point of Sale software?

Company just informed me the other day we were going to start selling this thing. The one I was shown was the QT6000 or something like that. I was told it was eprom based and you loaded the info on it with flash cards, Doing some training at the end of the month. It doesn't look like it is MSFT based from what little I have seen. Seems really odd but it just new. 15 years working with Aloha and everything looks weird.

Rob

Just wondering, why after 15 years no more Aloha?

Alot has changed in the industry in the last few years. He didn't say he quit selling Aloha, but as many dealers are learning, they need a second tier product now that Raidiant hardware must go along with Aloha software. This is an average cost of $4k per station. For smaller locals, a $2k per station solution is more viable. I don't know what it cost, but I have worked with Casio products way in the past(7yrs ago), and I would bet that their POS solution is probably worth looking at.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Yes, I guess that's true,DTSMan. Radiant's are killing Aloha. Time will tell...

Okay, I did my Casio training today. It is nothing at all like a GUI based POS software package and certainly has "nothing" to do with Microsoft. It is really tied in hard to old fashioned cash registers. If you are comfortable programming a cash register then you will be more than happy with this Casio product. If you are used to POS like Micros and Aloha then I would say if you don't want to lose half your hair learning something completely different than steer clear. I think the eprom based thing is pretty solid though and I would guess it is alot more stable because there isn't much to it. I have been told that this QT6000 will be alot alot cheaper per terminal than an Aloha POS system and you won't need a file server. The machines are nice and they surely "boot up" very very fast. Trying to be positive here...

Rob

Sharp, Casio, Panasonic, etc. put out some decent non-pc based equipment. The beauty of them, is that they are almost always perfect for a quick-service\fast-food environments. Since Windows is not involved it makes them quite reliable as far as downtimes go.
None of the new hires want to learn stuff like that so (my opinion only)their market that was once shrinking may be coming back as prices soar for the pc-based applications.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Thank you Rob for that honest evaluation. That Casio may be pretty promising after all.

We have found inexpensive PC based applications to be a better fit. There are a slew of these applications avalible, and I spent a good number of hours evaluating which softwares we would offer.

We recently had 2 installs one at a neighbor hood bar 3 terminals for less than $2700 per terminal and another for a chain of QS stores for less than $3,000 per terminal. The main advantage of these systems is the data intrepetation that a pc offers over the "data vomit" of the cash regester set.

Ketnon Hansen
Thrive Business Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.