Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

case upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenkenny01

Vendor
Mar 2, 2003
US
is it feasible to simply upgrade from gateway flex case to a mid tower [ transfer mb,cpu,etc] so i can do some further upgrading such as video card without searching for "half size" cards?

It's normally just a matter of moving your hard drives,cd roms etc into the new case, NO changes to the operating system whatsoever.

Just make sure the IO Plate is the same type as the motherboard.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thanks johnodq. i've found a soyo form factor flex atx case with 300 watts at tigerdirect i think should work. even though my mb has no agp,do you think an upgrade from the intel 810e integrated graphics to a pci 32/64 mb card will substantially increase video capabilities,or would it be better to move cpu [933 p3]to an entirely new mb with agp? i am trying to make this into a decent machine for my son's games.

AGP graphics are so much better and the Intel chipset is rubbish for games, if you want a cheap option for graphics go for a Geforce2 MX400, it's better than a Geforce4 MX440 which is like a Geforce4 with all the good bits disabled, and it's really cheap at the moment, I highly recomend it for value for money.

A new mobo would also give you a better upgrade path for later on if you then decide to upgrade the processor.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I just upgraded my low profile flex case (ibm netvista)
and stuck a low profile PCI w/ s-video out on it (to play divx movies and stuff on my 36" TV). It's a gainward geforce4 mx440-se w/ 64mb of ddr memory. (onboard intel 810 chipset blows!)
I'll admit it plays Quake3 and Unreal Tournament 2003 alright, but it's the only thing on the pci bus and it will get a little jumpy during some intense gaming moments (at 1024x762 32bit color), but I'm not sure if that's the PCI bus or my 667mhz pIII cpu.
I would have an answer for you from example, but IBM only wrote a bios upgrade for my board up to 866MHZ....
So the 933mhz cpu I tried to install on it isn't recognized by the motherboard.....#()%&#)(*% IBM!!!!
I may upgrade my current "brick" to the gateway's MSI flex MB just to see if clock ticks solves my problem.

Work out the numbers!
If you want your sons machine to play current and soon to be released games, you are going to need to buy something like a Geforce 2 Ti or higher, or a Radeon 7500 or higher.
Once you have made your decision on a midling card, you will see that the PCI variant is as much as 50% dearer than the much better performing AGP version.
That could be anything from $20-$50, half way towards a new motherboard that has the quicker AGP socket onboard.
Geforce 4 MX440 DDR graphics cards might be budget cut down chip versions but johnnodq must realise so are Geforce 2 MX 400's (cut down budget version of the GPU) and although not the best of performers offer more than double the frame rate of a GF2. If you don't believe me visit Mad Onions website and have a look at some 3D benchmarhs.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back