Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Case sensitivity in Sybase Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

filagan

Programmer
Apr 16, 2003
JP
I am a new Sybase user and just installed sybase 12.5 on a Win2K system. I noticed that column names and tables names are case sensitive when used in an SQL command. Is there a database option that can be set to disable case sensitivity?

I assume that you are coming from Oracle background or something similar. Sybase enforces case sensitivity for object names etc. All stored procedures are case sensitive as well. Commands such as "CREATE TABLE" or "create table" you can use both cases. However not objects. As far as I know there is no such flag to turn the case sensitivity option off. The reason being that sybase stores information about database objects in system tables starting with "sys" such as sysobjects etc. These are stored in case sensitive format. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back