Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cascading Prompts On Same Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajwa11

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2005
US
I am looking Into Making cascading Prompts. I know how to make the cascading prompts using different power prompt Pages. Like the prompts on the 2nd power prompt is generated based upon whats chosen in the 1st one. I was wondering if this all can be done in one page only . How do i get all the cascading prompts to one page ?

Any ideas

[highlight]
M.Bajwa
[/highlight]

As far as I know this isn't possible using PowerPrompts.

Gary

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

By Not possible , do you you not possible in one page or not possible at all ?
I have seen it working on multiple pages for eg I have a report which asks for the state in one page and the next page it will show me zip codes for that specific state which was chosen !

SO this just confirms that it can be done in power prompts using multiple pages , but id still prefer if I could do it in one page !

[highlight]
M.Bajwa
[/highlight]

Powerprompts only supports using multiple pages.

Gary

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Bajwa:
Just wondering why you prefer to do it in one page....cascading prompts are designed to work with multiple pages..and can't really think of any use if it is in one page..you might as well do multiple prompts cos that will serve the same purpose.

John Organ
MIS

well.. u r right.. I just wanted to save the user some time by giving him all the prompts in one page instead of choosing an option .. clicking next page . then choosing another option..

I guess thats not possible !

[highlight]
M.Bajwa
[/highlight]

Another option would be to use a frameset with each of the prompts living in their own frame so that a selection made in the first dropdown box will automatically refresh the second dropdown box with cascaded information (each of the dropdowns are contained within separate pages but "look" to the user as one page).

FYI, I haven't used PwrPrompts for awhile now but I believe I had this working at one point.

HTH

Keep in mind that reports with prompts on a single page cannot be scheduled.

The frameset is a good idea given by Hoox81. Would have tried it but i have it working now in another way.

FYI : I ended up rolling out the report to the end users in the following way

There are 2 radio buttons on each page in power prompts which give the user the option to either go and choose further details or just skip details and go to the finish page and run report

The first page in Power prompt asks the user to choose the products they want in the report
radio button 1 : Run Report for All Platforms, OS, Versions
radio button 2 : Choose Platforms, OS, Versions

So if they choose radio button 2 they are taken to next page which gives them an option of differened platforms and then the 2 radio buttons again
radio button 1 : Run Report for All OS, Versions
radio button 2 : Choose OS, Versions

Similarly the next page gives them the option of
radio button 1 : Run Report for All Versions
radio button 2 : Choose Versions

Radio button 1 lets the user go the exit page and run the report with any criteria that has already been selected.Otherwise they can choose radio button 2 and choose more criteria available.

Coments/ Suggestions Welcome !

Muhammad Bajwa

Bajwa,
Its very much possible.
Since this seems to be a bit older post, Let me know if u still need it or if u haven't acheived it.

Prasad.

Hi Bajwa,

Yes, it can be done in one page, provided you use JavaScript or ASP (or something like that), and use frames. You can't do it using Cognos' Dynamo manager (I think).

But using frame sets are pretty cumbersome.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back