Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cascading picklist/prompt question 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
US
Hi,

I've just moved over to version XI from version 9. I'm following the instructions in the George Peck book for setting up a cascading picklist, but for some reason I only get a limited list of values (5) for the first level, when I expected to get them all (approx 50). I can set up a regular picklist and get all the values I expect -- why does the first level of the cascading picklist limit the number of values returned? Is there a trick I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Robin

Any chance that these 5 are the only ones that have matching records in the next level?

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides for Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, VB, .NET, Tips and Tricks

From what I can tell, if the second level has more than 1000 values, the first level will be limited so that the second level falls under the 1000 limit.

-LB

Thanks to you both on your answers to this question. I've actually also (since I first posted this morning) run into the same problem with a non-cascading picklist -- any idea why?

Thanks.

Robin

I think there is a registry setting that controls this. Check the Business Objects website for how to change the registry setting.

I think there is a standard limit of 1000 values for imported lists, and it might be lower than that for dynamic lists or static lists pulled from selected report fields. Can't remember exactly.

-LB

See: _________________________________

KBase Article ID:c2017238

Article refers to:Crystal Reports XI
Symptom

For performance reasons, in Crystal Reports XI the maximum number of values that are returned for a list of values is set to 1000. If you have a cascading List of Values (for example Country > Region > City), the lowest level (in this case City) will only display a maximum of 1000 values. This means that the higher-level prompts may display far fewer values than you expect. The list of values provides the data for the dynamic parameter list.

How can you modify the maximum number of values available in a dynamic parameter list?

Resolution

To increase the maximum number of values available in a dynamic parameter list, you will add a registry key.

====================

WARNING:

The following resolution involves editing the registry. Using the Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall the Microsoft Windows operating system. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk.

HELP:

For information on how to edit the registry key, view the 'Changing Keys and Values' online Help topic in the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

RECOMMENDATION:

It is strongly recommended that you make a backup copy of the registry files (System.dat and User.dat on Win9x computers) before you edit the registry.

====================

1. Create a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV.

====================

NOTE:

Alternatively, you can create the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV and that key will override the settings of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV key.

====================

2. Add a string value "MaxRowsetRecords" and set the value to the maximum number of values that you desire for your report. For example, a value of 2000 will return up to 2000 values in the lowest level of a cascading parameter. NOTE: The value 0 (Unlimited) will not work with BusinessObjects Enterprise XI or Crystal Reports Server XI, you must specify another value.

====================

WARNING:

The higher the number of values is, the longer it will take the 'Enter Values' dialog box to populate with values.

====================

====================

NOTE:

After making changes to the registry, restart the affected service or application as required.

====================

More Information:

To modify the maximum number of values available in a dynamic parameter list on UNIX, refer to knowledge base article c2018918 on our support site:

======================================

- Ido

view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back