Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cascading lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymath10

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
CA
Hi,
I currently have a SharePoint site with six subsites. The parent site has a master contact list and each subsite needs the same list. Using linked tables in Access 2003 I can update the master list and paste all the data to the six subsite tables in Access (which updates all the lists in real time), but is there a smoother way to do this, either on SharePoint's side or Access' side so that I can update one list and have all the lists refreshed?

Thanks!

You could probably create a shared Web part that displays the same info to all the sites. I gather that since you're able to get the data using Access that you already know the DB bits and pieces; the rest is just display.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Thanks, I considered making a web part, but if users do not have access to the parent site and only their subsite, then a link to a web part on the main page wouldn't work would it? I'm an administrator so I have access everywhere, but most of our users will be restricted to one or more subsites.

It's not a link, it's a shared web part, one that you could publish to the subsites. I'd query the Sharepoint database for the info you're after and use that as a basis for the web part contents.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back