Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cascade update messes up previous reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

topdesk123

Programmer
Sep 27, 2001
US
Good morning!

I have a table: EmployeePayRates - which consists of the EmployeeID; WorkCode; PayRate. The supplies a subform in the Employees form and supplies the information for time cards. It all works great UNTIL an employee gets a raise and their rate changes - then all previous time cards are updated with the new rate - which has a domino effect on other reports based on this information. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with this issue? I'm currently working on a From and To date but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work properly.

Thank you in advance!!

topdesk123

You need to store a 'transactional' table, ie, one that has a record for every time the rate (or rate code, preferrably) changes per employee. This will have a date or date range, and this is the table entry that all reports should link to, based on date range.

It would be a small table with empID, RateCode, and Dates, You could use a single date or two date's for a range, either way requires some validation to avoid overlap or gaps.
--Jim

Thank you Jim - you confirmed what I was thinking (I think : ) ) I'm doing mental gymnastics about how to go about this but hopefully it will click after some more coffee.

Have a great weekend!!

Gina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back