Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cascade insert 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafka

Programmer
Oct 17, 2000
US
I am a bit of a novice at SQL Server 7.0, and my attempts to write a cascade trigger that actually works have been fruitless.

I need to insert a new record with the identical value in MyTable2 every time a new unique id is generated in MyTable1 for column customer. For e.g. unique id with value 4 in column customer, is automatically generated when a new row is created in MyTable1. Simultaneously that record with a value of 4 for column customer2 should be entered in MyTable2.

I also need to ensure that MyTable2 locks and releases correctly to match a new insert in MyTable1 so we have matching increments in both tables. Can someone please show me the code for this. Thanks for all your help.

Your trigger should do something like this.

Create Trigger trgInsertNewCust
On MyTable1
For Insert AS

set nocount on
Insert MyTable2 (ID,col1,col2,col3,...)
Select ID,<val1>,<val2.,<val3>,...
From Inserted
Go

Using the Inserted table to obtain the ID guarantees that the ID will be the same on both tables. You supply column names and values! ;-) Terry

Neither success nor failure is ever final. -Roger Babson

You are the man. Cheers. It Worked. One Question. What function does the 'nocount on' perform.

Best,

grateful sophomore

One more question:

Can I cascade the same vaule to multiple tables simultaneously? Thanks for your input.

&quot;SET nocount ON&quot; inhibits printing of the lines affected information in SQL Server. Triggers have a tendancy to cause errors if &quot;Lines Affected&quot; is printed because clients usually don't expect output from a trigger.

You can perform as many inserts and updates as needed to update multiple tables in the same trigger. Terry

&quot;I'm not dumb. I just have a command of throughly useless information.&quot; - Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes

tlbroadbent > you really are a great star! thanks for all the help you seem to offer everyone.

] always a sucker to the greatest lie of all: will only take a minute [

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back