Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carving additional space from the unused part of hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

johny2K

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
CA
i got 40gb hard drive. during installation, i opted to only used 20gb. but, during installation of another application, i ended up running out of space. now, i want to carve out space from the unused portion of the disk, e.g., 20gb left of at least 2 gb to be added to the existing 20gb. is it possible? should i used other tool to do this?

thanks.

What version of the operating system? SPARC or Intel architecture? And what type of disk, IDE or SCSI?

Annihilannic.

it's solaris 10 running on a PC (x86) with IDE hard drive.

Yes, it is possible, you just need to create a new partition on the drive to do it. I won't try to give you the exact procedure here though because I don't have my Solaris 10/x86 system handy right now, someone else should be able to give you the details.

Annihilannic.

You can add the unused space onto the existing partition. I just need to see the partition layout from the format menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back