Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cartoon software

Status
Not open for further replies.

cufevi

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
This one is a little anal I'm afraid. I saw an ad on tv showing a band making their own cd. Mp3s burned on a disk. They then took photographs of themseves and used them for the cover of the cd. During the process they use some paint software to change the photographs into graphic images of themselves or cartoons. Does anyone have any idea
a. What I am talking about?
and
b. Which software they use for the artwork?
I only saw the ad once and that's as much as I remember.
Thanks.
[afro]

The palettes used seemed to be from an Adobe program but I am not sure which. The end result seemed to come from Illustrator.

You can toon things up in Photoshop with the posterize filter. Then make selections of the flat colors and create working paths. Export paths to Illustrator and clean up.

Also since its an "ad" that means dont believe everything you see. They could have had a cartoonist come in and do some "finishing" touches to the whole thing

Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses.

I did something like this for a band poster. Take the photo you want and increase the contrast on it so that you get a good balance of light and dark areas. If you have some shadowed parts (faces etc.) you may need to mask them off and adjust the contrast so that you have an overall even contrast for the parts you need details in. Then use the Filter Sketch -> Photocopy with minimum detail and maximum darkness. The darkest parts will be gray - you'll probably want to do another contrast adjustment to get black outlines. Then you can go back and color it in with a new layer -- set the layer to "Multiply" and go to town.

It takes some work to get the contrast levels right - doing the filter is the easy part.

thanks greensweater. I've also tried using the "This layer high value range" slider and that seems to do the same kind of thing. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back