Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carp module oddities

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I use Carp a lot when writing scripts as unlike the majority of the Perl community, the code I write is usually full of silly mistakes and Carp shouts at me to put them right.

I have been working on a server recently where the page cannot be displayed, usually down to me doing something stupid, but Carp is not reporting the error. If I put the script on another server, Carp reports the specific error. Both servers use v3.63 so what could be causing the difference between the 2 servers?

Keith

Hi Keith,

It looks like a different config of the web server.
Maybe the webserver is configured to show the fatal errors on the pages.
Making errors visible to the world is a security risk.
Not possible to access the error log file ?

BR,
Marcel

___
____

I have been working on a server recently where the page cannot be displayed, usually down to me doing something stupid, but Carp is not reporting the error.

If this is ActiveState Perl on Windows and is v5.9.xxx upwards, Carp doesn't work anymore!

It drove me so nuts not being able to debug my scripts, I have moved over to Catalyst which comes with an in-built PSGI devel server which shows every error, warning and everything in-between when in debug mode!

Why it broke in the later versions I have no idea, but ever since running 5.14.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2, I cannot see any errors, unless the first thing I do at the top of each script is output a header.

Otherwise all I get is 500 server error, or cannot display the page!

I still don't get to see warnings for any legacy scripts, whereas the Catalyst devel server debug output shows everything, it's worth checking it out :)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

I only use Carp during Dev so not really a security problem. I do have access to the logs and they show the errors but of course, not at run time.
1DMF - Carp works a bit but as PredaMarcel suggests, the server setup could be at fault here - I will have to look into it. Do the programmers using Active State always write perfect code then?

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back