Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

career path advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

biskin72

Technical User
Feb 14, 2011
US
Hi all

i have received my a+ cert and i am currently working on my net+ cert. Is starting off in support really the first stepping stone, into the it field, because this is a career change for me. Just trying too see what path is ahead of me. I come from a video & new media background.

comptia A+

Pretty much. Unless you have a degree in software development or something similar, then helpdesk/PC tech is likely to be the first rung on the ladder for you. I would try to find something NOT in a call center if you can manage it. A hands-on tech usually makes more money than the guys in the call center, and in my experience it offers more opportunity to learn hands-on.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

thank you for the suggestion, i greatly appreciate it. i know i have a long ahead.

comptia A+

I agree with kmcferrin. I'll give you a little tip. Look towards Health Care. I know that hospitals and other health care places are making a big push into technology and hiring like crazy. Not sure how much longer it will last, but check it out.

You should probably be ready to take a job in a call center, even if it is just to get 1+ years of entry level experience under your belt.

Also, CompTia certs are great, but it never hurts to diversify your education/skills. Mix in some microsoft, cisco, Linux, or some other tech certs. it makes you marketable, if nothing else.

Good Luck

Tatertot45
CRCP
Network+
A+

Tatertot45,

thanks for the advice, yeah i was leaning to taking a couple more certs, but since its coming out of pocket trying too pace myself.I was leaning too microsoft certs and a couple of cisco certs.

comptia A+

biskin72,

If you are moving into Cisco and Microsoft certs make sure that you have a home lab and that you are getting tons of HANDS ON PRACTICE in the lab.

It does not have to be a big lab - 3 routers like Cisco 2610XM routers, 2 switches like Cisco 2950 and 2 older PCs (I bought 2 Dell 260 P4s for $40 each delivered on eBay) so that you can setup an end to end network to PRACTICE ON !!!!!

Having a bunch of certs without some kind of real experience will not get you very far :-(

Realistically, if you EVER intend to move up - then start taking some classes and work towards your AA/AS and then your BA/BS.

You can start at a community college or get grants or student loans, most upper level jobs are looking for a BS/BA ......

You want a good mix of education, certs and experience, the home lab will help you get this experience along with the experience you get "on the job".

Good luck and I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks Ciscoguy33,

I have a couple of old pcs and macs at home , just need too purchase the routers and switches and i should be able to put a little lab together.

comptia A+

You say you have a video and new media background??
I came from a video background and I got into IT out of necessity!
Look into your local tv/cable/radio companies for IT help, you might want to drill down to the advertising side because they are always installing new traffic and billing software, or editing suites... lots of opportunities for supporting software and mixed (mac/PC) networks

Yes i have video and digital media production background.I am in a similar situation as you were DonMc67.

comptia A+

Hello all,

I will be scheduling too take net+ exam , probably in two weeks. I will be studying up until that point. I just want too tell everyone i would like too thank you for your suggestions and career advice.

comptia A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back