Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

career advice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcswew

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
IE
Hi,
My back ground is Unix admin, shell scripting and some amount of C programming. I've just been offered a job in another dept of my present company as a network solutions engineer. Basically this will involve designing network solutions for customers that want to include our products in their present setups etc. I have been told this will involve getting Cisco certification etc. Does this move into networking look like a good career move? Do Cisco certs + experience to go wiith them add up tp a good career direction. To me it will be exciting as I know a lot of network theory stuff but don't have the hands on experience.
Should I go for it?? My present job is comfortable but after 5 years is a bit unchallenging

It really sounds to me like it would be a good move. Cisco experiance and certs can be a great career. If you were to get more advanced certs say CCNP or CCIE and have a good deal of experiance you should have no problems.

Jeff
Apexx Technical Consulting

But, we all know programmers ALWAYS earn more than techies!

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back