Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cardfile View : corrupted? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybug43

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
When I go to the Cardfile view, I either see the index view OR the cardfile view, both of which fill up the page. In other words, I can't see the entire card list on the left, with the highlighted individual info on the right. There is no vertical divider.

It seems like I should be able to click on the right hand vertical border, and drag it back to the left, but that doesn't work.

Hope someone can help...

Dear ladybug43,
I have posted a query in
thread807-547005
to ask someone who had the problem a while ago if he/she had the answer.
and I left this thread number there.
See if that helps and in the meantime I will try too and get back here if I have a solution.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear ladybug43,
I would suggest that you backup ALL your Data
& Templates etc as described in faq807-2807
and then re-install Sidekick.
Easiest way.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

James, thanks for your help in this matter. I had just re-installed Sidekick, so I didn't think that was the trouble, but I did it again, and the cardfile is still Messed UP to use a really technical term. <smile>

I'm not sure about this, but I think I may have done this to myself, but trying to move the vertical bar over, and &quot;slipping&quot; got it too far. I've been without this computer for over 6 months, so I'm not sure about the exact details of this stupid action, or if that's actually the problem.

I really appreciate your trying to help me here... I'm continuing to try to figure out how to fix it. Am doing Xmas cards, and it's very cumbersome to update addressed, when you have to constantly click between views.

-Yvonne, who's jealous of anyone living in Ireland!

Dear Yvonne,
Yes, It is a great pleasure (Living in Ireland)
But don't be jealous; move here too!
Now to your problem:
I believe it must be an *.ini file, but could you please tell me which version of Sidekick you are using and on which platform?
I don't necessarily have the answer immediately but it would help me to work it out. (or if someone else knows then they can let you(& me) know too)

Regards Jim

Dear Yvonne,
In the meantime, just to help you with the christmas card updating, use Ctrl+E to cycle between Edit and List view.

Regards Jim

Dear Yvonne,
better to sort it out here!
The problem could also be related to a graphics driver, have you tried changing the screen resolution to 600x800 or reducing graphics acceleration (right click on my computer and choose properties then performance then Graphics and then move the slider to the left)
That procedure is for Win98 but as you have recently upgraded to WinXP it may be slightly different, and on that note(upgrading) it may be the new driver that is causing the problem have you checked for a new driver at the graphics card manufacturers site or have you installed a new graphics card?
Just a few things for you to get on with! Let me know (here) how you get on because it is a problem that I would like to get to the bottom of!

Regards Jim

Dear Yvonne,
No luck at my end, you still haven't mentioned what version of Sidekick you are using, let me know which one and we can go from there.
The method I am thinking about, is to install another version of Sidekick (in a different directory / folder) and then open the cardfile in that to see if the cardfile is ok.
Then:
if the cardfile is ok, uninstall the original version of Sidekick and then re-install it re-booting in between to clear out temp files and make sure the old version is completely gone.
BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP, BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE ABOVE!
See the Faq pages here at Tek-Tips to find out which files to backup
(Label templates etc)
See how you get on and please let us know the result.

Regards Jim

Dear Yvonne,
Don't know whether the problem has been resolved.
I have tried to recreate the scenario but the following (which I posted on the other thread ) is the nearest I have come to it:
Dear pjo1966,
I have been able to reproduce a similar situation with a QuickRes program (It alters the resolution on the fly(immediately))
If I Increase the resolution and then decrease the resolution I get left with the Window going off screen to the right.

But if I press Alt or Right-Click on the title bar it reverts back to normal...
Don't know if this helps but if it is a resolution problem maybe combined with a problem with your monitor who knows?
You can get the program I am using which is called WIRM (Window Icon and Resolution manager) it is available at this site.

It will allow you to change the resolution and check whether the Card Contents can be expanded again.

Regards Jim

Yvonne,
the thread was
thread807-547005
and apparently as you can read there, pjo1966 says she/he solved it but can't remember how.
How are you getting on, did you find a solution?

Regards Jim

James, Really appreciate your following up on this question. The fix (changing the resolution) did not work in my case.

Used Sidekick for my Xmas cards, as usual, but it's so much more awkward now not being able to see the whole list and any individual info (if clicked on).... at the same time. I've considered finding another program and figuring out how to convert the information into it, but I've used Sidekick for so long, am dreading the difficulty in moving my six lists somewhere else.

I AM in the process of copying files onto CDs, preparing to format my hard drive and start over [for other reasons], and plan on installing Sidekick on the *clean* slate and see if that helps in any way.

I thought I'd told you I was using version 6.01, but I see that I haven't... I apologize. you've really tried to help me, and I appreciate that.

Hope you and your family all had a nice christmas.

-Yvonne

Dear Yvonne,
Remember that the files that you will copy back from the CD after your re-install will be read only and it might be an idea before you use Sidekick, for you to reset the attributes of those files.

Regards Jim

Hello Yvonne,

I too have now got the single pane problem.

Have you resolved your? The help files make numberous references to left and right pane, but nothing on how to change the &quot;Full View&quot; ie both right and left pane views visible.

Vern
From an Island in the Pacific

Vern, do you know if you did something to make the &quot;single pane&quot; view? If so, it would be helpful to &quot;James 333&quot; (the previous writer). Maybe we can figure out what is happening. I have NOT found a fix yet. I'm going to be switching things to a new computer soon, and hope by installing Sidekick into a new environment, it'll start with the original, or default, views. However, it seems to be imbedded in the cardfiles themselves, not the program.

-Yvonne, who knows just enought to be dangerous

Thanks Yvonne
Let me know how you make out.

I've had the problem before fixed it, but that was some time ago. Now if I can only find my original manual.

Do you know if anyone has looked at the Sidekick *.ini files?

Vern
From an Island in the Pacifc

Sidekick 98 and windows 2000.. getting squirrly :(

back and restore not working

transfer with userdata and usb flash works sometimes

Cardfiles not found :(

Doesn't look good for the most friendly PIM ever..:(

Anyone work aroung with sidekick and windows 2000??

thanks Steve

Dear All,
Funnily enough I may have a solution and all the time it was here in the FAQ pages so it makes me feel a bit silly (look at my signature)!!
Question 6 on FAQ page1 ( faq807-2966 )says the following and it will probably work with Sidekick99 too:

Q: The information in Cardfile and Write extends across the screen and covers the Sidekick 98 icons on the right side of the screen. The Sidekick 98 screen appears normal when EarthTime, Calendar, Expense, or Activities is selected. Why is this happening?
A: Most likely, there is a problem with the SKLAYOUT.SKW file in the Program Files\Sidekick 98\data folder. To resolve, exit SIDEKICK 98, using Windows Explorer, rename SKLAYOUT.SKW to SKLAYOUT.OLD, then restart SIDEKICK 98. A new default SKLAYOUT.SKW will then be created.
Try this out, as I don't have the problem I don't know if it will work.
You can always revert back to the old SKLayout if it really doesn't help...

Regards Jim

Since my last post, the old machine gave up the ghost.
Luckily the back-ups were only 4 months old so too much wasn't lost.

After re-installing Sidekick 98 into Windows xp, restoring the files things appeared to work fine; except of course for the invalid "mast.sk".

The panes were back to there normal layout.

I deleted the xxxxmast.skw fill and no longer receive the message.

My next question. Where do I find the sidekick 98 patch?

Now that the site where the download was available has appeared to have disappeared.

Dear DAGUY,
The site is back again see

Regards Jim

James, Hoorah, Yippee and Hip, Hip, Hooray!!!

Don't know if you use those cheers in Ireland, but picture a very happy user jumping up and down.

THAT TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM!!

I feel a little silly, 'cause I thought I'd searched throughout the FAQ pages for that fix. I've now copied it down in a notebook (always trust paper), and also in the memo section of Sidekick.

Thank you so much for helping me return to the much better user-friendly Sidekick cardfile format. I appreciate your sticking with this problem.

-Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back