Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Card Re-Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtb20926

Vendor
Mar 30, 2006
US
Question - I added a Merlin Messaging card to a Legend the other day. I didn't have to renumber the card after the initial installation and it works. I know there are some instances when you have to renumber a card when adding it. When are these instances and what considerations and restraints should I be aware of when renumbering a card? Where do you start when choosing port numbers? Thanks for any input!

You don't choose the port numbers yourself, they are "logical id's" that depend on their position in the cabinet.

Although you can sometimes get away with putting in a card and using it, it's best if you do a BOARD renumber after you do so. This will force the processor to look out at the cards and make sure it knows what is there.

When you do a board renumber, doesn't the system ask what numbers you want to renumber the board or is it just a yes/no action through programming and the ports are automatically assign. Thanks!

You are confusing a board renumber with a system renumber. The board renumber is used whenever you add, remove, change boards - and the board renumber simply ensures that the processor fully recognizes the new board arrangment. Depending on the type of board you put in and what it replaced - your changes may effect system numbering for extensions, lines, etc. - in which case you may have some system renumbering to do for extensions, etc. You may also have a lot of reprogramming to do - if calling groups, voicemail, etc. were affected.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

To expand on Tom's comment of board renumbering required when changing a board, as in a 008MLX digital replacing an 008ATL analog station card. Even though you power down to replace the board and plug MLX phones into the MLX ports, system still thinks all is analog and none of the phones work. System Info print may show an 008MLX now in the slot but you have to do the board renumber for the processor to configure the board to function correctly. (Been there, done that.) One should *always* do a board renumber when adding/replacing a card.

learn to check if you do not know the system first if you have phantom boards progrmed in the system,because you will wipe out whatever is programmed on them when you do a board renumber

Okay, Makes sense. Sorry for being difficult, but If I replace a board in the middle of a cabinet (with a different amount of ports,(switching an 012 with a 408) when I do the renumber.... Will that effect any other cards other than the one I'm renumbering? How would you perform a board renumber if there *IS* a phantom board. Thanks for the input!

yes, it will move up by four your station count on any station board that follows ,and the programing for those stations will change, and will move your line's back by four if you have line's following, on a phantom board , you will need to reprogram it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back