Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caputuring lpt2 in WinXP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2002
US
I just installed Windows XP Professional and I'm trying to capture lpt2 to a networked printer, but I see no option to do such a thing. Can it be done in XP? <><

you have to use this command:

NET USE LPT2: \\<SERVERNAME>\<SHARENAME>

so if your print server is PRINTBOSS and your shared printer is HP5 you have to type this command:

NET USE LPT2: \\PRINTBOSS\HP5

if you want to remove the capture, use this:

NET USE LPT2: /DELETE

Hi,

Can you tell me where to run these netuse commands for LPT port capturing??

I have 3 printers I need to capture as LPT3, 4 & 5 on 2 XP systems I have just bought, and am about to purchase a few more.

Regards,
Jay/UK

Hi Jay,

Go to Start, Run, type CMD, click on OK. This should take you to the DOS prompt.

Good luck!

Why not just install as a &quot;network printer&quot; on the
machine?

Well... Some old applications (like our FoxPro 2.6 based) don't use Windows Printer Drivers and they dump the output to the LPT Ports. When you're using a network printer, You need to capture the printer port to a network port so you can redirect the output.

-Nuclear

Hi Vaceves,

Thanks.

How do I get the command to run automatically each time the user logs onto the network?

Regards,
Jay/UK

OKe,

You can try NET USE LPT2: \\PRINTBOSS\HP5 /persistent:Yes
Replace Yes with No if you dont want to remember this capture

Damn, i should have read the article wich Jay posted before reply to it. Oke its not a big deal for anyone who don't wanna spending time, reading Microsoft Articles. ;-)

You have to make sure you go to the printer and turn sharing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back