Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capturing printerports with 2000server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredde

Programmer
May 10, 2001
SE
I'm using my 2000 server as a print server for Mac and PC:s with appletalk printers. My problem is that I'm unable to capture one of printer-ports (Apple Laserwriter 8500).

Even though I mark the capture-box the printer is still accessible directly through appletalk instead of (as it should be) only through the print server.

Has anyone experienced this problem (bug?).

/Fredrik

Look at the printer folder for your appletalk printers and watch if the print jobs are spooled or not.

If you can see the print jobs in the queue on yor server everything is working fine.

If not, delete and recreate the printer ports on the server and tell the wizard to capture the port.

The printer is always accessible through appletalk, but the windows server catches the print job from the network and sends it to the printer, so you can´t see any differences on your MAC-clients.

Other than Novell´s Netware, Windows can not share the printer with protocol translation, so you can´t disable the appletalk protocol on the printer to avoid direct access.

hope it helps

Hmm, my main reason for capturing printers is to disable windows clients from adding a local port (appletalk device). That way they can get around print-logging.
MAC-clients get around this anyway since there is no user control.

Well, all the other printers, when captured, disappers as a choice of installation for both MAC- and Windows 2k clients. That is - appletalk is not turned off but the printer is captured by the server. Isn't this how it's supposed to work?

Anyway this works fine for all printers but the one in question LW8500. I've tried to add and remove this port several times with no luck. The printer works just fine but for the capturing part.

/Fredrik

Of course - it should work, but don´t forget it´s MS
first install the latest w2k-servicepack

Are your w2k users member of the local administrators group?

Why do they have AppleTalk installed on their workstations ?

Set policies to prevent the creation of local printer ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back