Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capture screen output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2002
NO
Unsure if this is the right forum, but I already tried UNIX and got no-where, hoping this give me more ...

I have a .c program I am running on Solaris.

As the program runs, it writes text out to the terminal window. I want to capture this text in a log file so that other users can tail -f the log file and see what is happening.

I have had a loko atthe source code and can see that the text is written out using printf("text");

I have tried the following:

Code:
script
program
This does not output anytihng until the program ends, so no use. The -f (flush) option is not valid on our system (SunOS 5.8).

Code:
program | tee -a file.log
The program does not run

Code:
prgram > file.log
I tried all sorts of variations including 2>&1 etc - again, the program does not run.

I do not want to share my terminal window using netmeeting or anything similar.

Any other ideas?

I assume I could edit the program to write out to a log file, but I don't really want to have to do that - it's a delicate (read: flakey/shoddy) program and I don't want to start tinkering with it.

Cheers.

Code:
./program > file.log
This should always work.
Does file.log get created when you do this? If it does, is it empty?

Do other things exhibit the same behavior? Ex.
Code:
ls -al > dir.txt

Thanks for the reply.

when I try redirection like that - or even the full file path of the compiled program, the log file is created but stays empty - and the program does not seem to run.

Yes - redirection works normally for everything else.

> and can see that the text is written out using printf("text");
But is any of it followed with a newline?
Say
[tt]printf("text\n");[/tt]
Text which is unflushed may remain in a buffer a lot longer if the stdout has been redirected in some way.

I've just tried a noddy program, and 'script' works just as one would expect it to.
Code:
$ cat foo.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main()
{
    int i;
    for ( i = 0 ; i < 10 ; i++ ) {
        printf("%d ", i );
        if ( i % 2 == 0 ) {
            sleep(1);
        } else {
            printf("\n");
        }
    }
    return 0;
}

$ gcc foo.c
$ script -f xF2.txt
Script started, file is xF2.txt
$ ./a.exe
0 1
2 3
4 5
6 7
8 9
$ exit
exit
Script done, file is xF2.txt
$ cat xF2.txt
Script started on Thu May 24 18:14:10 2007
$ ./a.exe
0 1
2 3
4 5
6 7
8 9
$ exit
exit

Script done on Thu May 24 18:14:24 2007
The numbers duly appeared spaced by a second (not all in a rush at the end).

> it's a delicate (read: flakey/shoddy) program and I don't want to start tinkering with it.
That could be the problem in itself. I have seen on one occasion in the dim and distant past an example of a program which actually crashed whenever I tried to redirect it.

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have found that the script does in deed output to a log file upon redirection - but only after 10 minutes or so - I assume it is filing a buffer and only puging once the buffer is full.

However this is probably good enough for our needs at the moment.

I think the true solution is gonig to be arrange for the .c program to output to a log file as well as to screen - it was written with the intention of being used by a single user. Now we have multiple users it just doesn;t come up to standard ..

thansk for the input everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back