Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capture fails: Novell 4.01 with W2K workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

richsweeney

Technical User
Feb 28, 2004
US
System: Novell 4.01, with about 10 pc's running w98se
Printing to one printer hp5m with internal jet direct card.
Works great under this system.

I finally decided to try a machine with a wk2/(sp4 I think) This machine does get on the network and web, and the program seem to run ok. (not as fast as w98)I can print to all the printers on the network within W2K.

I have foxppro loaded on the local drives and the data and apps running off the server. All my reports are coded line by line.
The novell print server is not loaded.

This is the line that seems to be where the error starts.

! F:\PUBLIC\CAPTURE L=1 Q=QEPSON J=PJEPSON NB NFF

And this is the error I get.

capture-4.03-923:An unexpected error has occured: 255 (00ff). (SPOOL.C:[529])

Thanks for any help

Exit from Foxpro program
At the Command Prompt (Start -> Run ->cmd) type your CAPTURE command. If that fails, either your syntax is wrong or PRINTSERVER is not loaded on your Netware system.

Can you see the Netware printer from your Windows programs or from 'Add New Printer' ?

I will try that, but I am not using novells printer server, only the queue that points to the hp installed server. As a matter of fact I shut down novells print server a long time ago and have no printers plugged directly into the server.

I can see all the printers on the network from this machine. I don't think they are actually novell printers, and only one is attached the queue.

The w98 machines all work fine using this code, and have for the last 5 years.

Thanks!

Hi,
I went to the dos prompt, and from the public folder I typed up the capture command, and got the same error. I then went to MYNETWORK PLACES just to make sure of the printers novell sees. And they are all there. I then clicked on one and connected to it and set up the novell connection and made that my defualt printer. And did a test page.
This is starting to feel like a novell w2k problem. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Rich

You need to use the NET USE command when trying to print from NT.
Here are a couple threads addressing this issue:

FoxPro 2.6a (DOS) Printing to remote printer . . .
thread182-547112

Speed up your Printing under Win9x from FoxPro DOS
thread182-66171

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Thanks all for your help, and all the other threads. I think I just extended the life of this fpd app another 5 years.
I got both apps to run, and run fast without hogging the cpu, and got it to print as fast as w98. (I am launching the foxprox from the local drive that then starts the prgs on the server.)

As I was converting all my print reports to be both w98 and w2k compatible, I have some reports I print 2 copies of. Thats what I have to figure out how to do next. Any suggestions?

By the way, if you ever have a need to print non report writer reports to pdf, learning a few simple postscript commands is way way easier than pcl and about on par with html.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back