Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Capslock Beep Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycup

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
As a head-down typist I rely on the beep sound whenever the 'capslock' key is hit accidentally. Having installed Windows 7 quite recently I tried to set this 'alarm' up but I cannot hear any beep sound. I have checked and double checked the appropriate settings in the keyboard options of the Easy Access Centre and all the right boxes are ticked. The other sounds on my computer are ok , I can listen to music, tv, radio etc.. all through my speakers.
The 'beep' should come from the computer itself and I assume there is no problem there as the BIOS beeps are able to be heard. I would like to get this running again but I am at a loss as to what to try next.
I should add that I have just re-booted into Windows XP (dual boot) and this function is working properly so it looks like a Windows 7 problem. Could it be Registry based?.

Am I right in assuming that you have now solved this problem?

Capslock Beep Missing

jaycup
Sun, 07/02/10@19:03

"Thought you would like to know that I have cured the problem but I cannot sy exactly how but what i did do was play around with the option to "Turn on toggle Keys by holding down the Numbers Lock for five seconds" after enabling this option I held down the NL key and this gave other options and then the Nl key itself produced a sound (beeb) and then I was able to do this direct from the capslock key. I have now disabled the NL option and the capslock beep is still working but as 'Spartacus' already said this requires the speaker volume to be 'On'. All help is gratefully received and I thank you for that, without this I would not have solved the problem."

Do "Head-down typists" use spell checkers? I like IeSpell myself, but I suppose there are many others around?

Sorry, false dawn. I thought I had cured the problem as I described but after re-booting the problem has returned and I cannot get the fix back again. It was tied up with the Numbers lock key as well and it does not beep either.

Thought I should give an update to my problem,as follows.

It would appear that others have a similar problem and yet others have no problem at all. I can get it to work but not easily. If I put a tick in the 'turn on Toggle Keys' and save and exit it does not work but if I also tick
'Turn on by holding down Numbers Lock for five seconds' and then press the numbers key continuously I can eventually get a box on screen that asks me if I want to turn on 'Toggle Keys' if I click 'yes' then I get the function and clicking the capslock or numbers lock keys gives a 'beep but I have to make sure the speakers volume is turned on because otherwise there will be no sound to be heard. this is all fine except if I re-boot or the monitor turns off (after 20 minutes) then my problem is back again. I am beginning to think it will be quicker to learn to touch type!.
I should add that when I re-boot or come out of the power saving mode I mentioned that the 'Turn on Toggle Keys' box has been unticked, (by default?).

What about a free software solution?

"CapsLock allows you to turn on or off your CAPS lock key on your keyboard. There is no user interface to this program, just execute it and it will perform the task. You can add this utility to your Windows Startup to ensure the CAPS lock key is on. Use the command line options to either turn the key on or off."

CapsLock v1.00

Thanks 'linney', I had the same thought myself earlier today as i was fed up with the amount of time i was spending on this 'annoyance'. I downloaded a small utility called 'CapsLock Taskbar Lite 1.2'. this solved the problem immediately and I have decided to stay with it. why this works and Windows 7 doesn't will remain a mystery but I just wonder why Microsoft had to change what worked perfectly well in Windows XP, for starters the 'Toggle Keys' are disabled on every start-up and you have to carry out a Registry 'fix' to correct this, which I did and even so I still had no beep, then there is the matter of needing to have speakers 'live' in order to hear anything when in XP the computer provided the sound. It would appear that some people have no problems and there are many others like myself who have plenty.
I now consider my problem 'solved' and thank all those who have made a contribution to this 'thread'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back