Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caps Lock causing insert in combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MushMouse

Programmer
Mar 29, 2004
US
This is my problem:
I have a combo box which works fine when Caps Lock is off.
Here is an example of the problem I have when it is ON:

The valid values in the combo box are
Pan
Penn

When I tried to enter PENN, with caps lock on
after I typed the letter "P", the word "Pan" appears (correctly).
After I typed the letter "e" (even though caps lock was on, it came out small), the word "Penn" appeared (also, correct, since I don't care whether or not the "e" is capitalized).

But now, when I type the next "N", it acts as if it had been inserted & now what appears is "PeNnn"
This is INCORRECT!

Can anyone tell me why this is happening & how I can correct it?

Much thanks!!

Hiya, MushMouse,

What are the control source and row source for your combo? Is there any other code behind the combo? I tried it with the values you indicated and was unable to reproduce the problem. With caps lock on, ALL characters I entered were uppercase, but auto expand worked properly, i.e. the correct values were selected regardless of case - and after tabbing out of the control, the correct value displayed in the control in the mixed case from the control's row source.

So it seems there is something abnormal happening in your combo, hence my questions above.

Ken S.

Access is by default not case-sensitive, so it shouldn't make any difference. As Ken said, something strange is going on, maybe even corruption.

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

I have many different Access databases on my laptop, & the problem seems to be happening in ALL of them, for EVERY combo box that I've tried. Could this have something to do with the way Access is set up on my laptop?
PS - it's not just MY laptop - it's happening to other people, here, too. We are using Access 2002.

You've all sent me in searching in the right direction - when I turn off "Correct TWo INitial CApitals", the problem doesn't occur. I'd like to keep it turned on, but if I can't figure out how to stop it from inserting, I'll have to leave it off.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back