Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't watch videos ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rirusstek2

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
When I try to watch videos, such as the ones from Youtube or Google using Internet Explorer 7, I get a message that either my Javascript is not enabled or Flash Player is not the mos t recent.

I have javascrit ENABLED on the Security section of IE7 7.0.5730 and my Flash Player is the latest.

Now, if I use Netscape 8.1.2 I have no problms watching any of these videos.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Check out any other BHO's you may have installed. The first thing I wold blame would be the google toolbar, if you have it. If you do, uninstall it and test - if the problem is resolved and you like the google toobar then try re-installing it (download the latest one)

It could be a virus or other malware, so double check your anti-virus and scan with hijackthis and use the online report (

Thanks for your reply, I did do all of your suggestion and the problem persists.

Uninstall Google toolbar, run Hijackthis and corrected any problem, Did a computer scan for Virusis and malware, reeboted and still can't wacth videos with IE7.

Yes, I have SP2 installed for quite a while ago.

WinXP Pro, 3.2 Pentium 4 with all the updates current.

Any ideas? Thanks.

This is what I get when I try to watch a video from Youtube.

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest flash player.

Have you tried cleaning out the Temporary Internet Files folder, and other Temp files, you can do it bu running Disk Cleanup and selecting the appropriate check boxes?

If you right-click on the IE7 Desktop Icon you can try IE7 with No Add-ons, and see if that works.

Are the IE7 options for Multimedia set correctly in Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced?

Have you tried adding the web sites to IE's Trusted Sites list?

Thank for all your help, i Really appreciated it.

Cleaned out ALL the internet temp files Folder, temp Files.

Disabled ALL the ADD-ONS

Multimedia Settings in ADVANCE where set are ALL with the check mark.

Added to my Trusted Sites List,\.

But Nothing, still get the same message.

Java

As an Admin User.

In IE go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced & check that Java is ticked.

Visit and see if the video demo plays.

If it doesn't, uninstall Java via add/remove programs and visit again and follow the links to install Java.

Flash

Visit adobe.com and see if the demo at the top runs - "Step inside the createve mind" - If it doesn't, uninstall Macromedia Flash & visit adobe.com and follow the links to install the new flash player. Adobe owns flash now, so sounds to me like yours could be out of date if it still calls itself macromedia.

OK, did the Java test, the Java video worked fine on that page.

I Tried to run "Step Inside a Creative Mind", and does not work. It reverts me to the page where I should install the Flash Played

Uninstalled Macromedia Flash Player and reinstalled the "new" adobe Shock Wave and Flash Player.

Still does not play the video on IE7.

Now I found this out ...

For instance, if i go to

It comes up with the message that I need the Flash Player

But if I use the following address of the same video it plays perfectly.

Same happens for this one, the second address plays just fine..

Now, on this one ...

When the video starts on the second address (the video actually starts) it comes up with the following message

" .... the author does not allow video emmbedding of this video ..."

And the video stops.

Any clues?

I would like to thank all of you for all the help on this.

Big clue I think?

They all play for me except the last one, where I get the same message about the author. So I guess that's kosha.

BUT

I can partially replicate your problem by adding "youtube.com" to my list of restricted sites. This gets me the message about needing Java etc. But it also blocks the other way so I only get a white page, no message.

Check you haven't got the 'restricted site' symbol at the bottom of your screen when going to youtube. You may have something causing your problem in list of restricted sites. Alternatively it may be a security setting. I suggest you temporarily change your security settings to see if that's the issue.

This is a common problem. Older versions of Flash player don't work well with IE7 & don't update properly. Uninstall flash player using this, then re-install.

Well ....... IT IS SOLVED ...

I would like to thank everyone of you for your GREAT help.
Thanks b4db0y, and the pointers that STDUC gave us are just so neccessary to use Hijack This to be able to clean-up your PC.

Thanks linney for pointing all those little "crevises" where one should look for instances where it counts to check.

And SMAH .... there is where the problem finally was ... THE OLD FLASH PLAYER.

I uninstalled it and installed the new one ver. 9.0.28 and now I can watch videos without "running around".

Thanks again to all of you for helping out so nicely.

Regards.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back