Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't watch TV in Dual Monitor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucime

Programmer
Mar 7, 2008
US
Hello,

I have had an ATI All-in-wonder 7500 card for years and sometimes I use it to watch TV. Last week I bought a 2nd video card (EVGA e-GeForce FX5200 PCI) so I could do a dual monitor setup.

Works great except for watching TV. When I try to launch the TV viewer software I get the error message below.
Image-0000.png

I searched ATI's online Knowledge Base and they say:
To operate ATI TV Player:

* Correct version of DirectX for the version of Multimedia Center being used must be installed.
* Appropriate multimedia capture drivers for the ATI TV Tuner product must be installed. The capture drivers will be listed under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" category within Device Manager

When I installed the new video card I only installed the driver for it. I didn't install a new version of Direct X nor did I change the drivers for the the old card.

Has anyone see this before or have any idea what else I might try?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is the ATI card configured as the primary video card in BIOS?

to go along another assumption...

did you remove the ATI card?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You say you have not updated the drivers for the AIW 7500 when you installed the PCI card. I would definitely download and install the latest drivers available from ATI's (well AMD's) site. ATI cards have a history of not playing nice with others so I would definitely look into that.

Thanks for all the replies. To answer your questions...

Q - Is the ATI card configured as the primary video card in BIOS?
A - No, I didn't know that was possible or necessary. I've got it configured as the primary in the Display Properties settings.

Q - did you remove the ATI card?
A - No

When I said I hadn't updated the drivers I meant I hadn't updated them after installing the new card. I had upgraded them about a month ago and everything worked fine up until I installed the new card.

Thanks.

Ok, as mentioned already, mixing the two (nVidia and ATI) will work for most setups, but tend to interfere with each other in other areas...

suggestion: try to reinstall the driver for the ATI card...

also see if there is a BIOS option for the setting the ATI as primary as ski mentioned...

other than that, you might want to try another ATI card instead of the nVidia (used cards can be had for cheap on eBay)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I've had the same sort of issue. It seems to happen when you mix nVidia and ATI cards with each other. I've run both the PCI and USB model of the ATI TV Wonder and haven't had issues when running on an only nVidia or only ATI system. However, when the system is mixing components from the two there seem to be issues.

If you are unable to get the issue resolved, try to return the nVidia card and purchase an ATI one. I prefer nVidia over ATI...so it does pain me to tell you to get an ATI card...but they do make great TV tuners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back