Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't view excel attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthur99

Technical User
Jan 19, 2001
CA
I start a new outlook 97 email and attach an excel file to the message. It shows up as an icon on the bottom of the message. However, when I double click this excel icon, it does not open.

Try saving the spreadsheet first by choosing the "Save Attachment" feature. You should then be able to open it.

In Excel go to Tools\Options and click on the General tab. Ensure the checkbox next to 'Ignore Other Applications' is not ticked.

If you're using I/E version 5.x the attachment is probably being temporarily stored in a special "IE" folder unde the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. If so, Windows cannot find/'associate' this file with the application (in your case Excel).

Right-click on the attachment and "SAVE AS" it to a folder (such as My Documents) then either open Excel, and point to the file wherever you saved it, or 'explore' / navigate to the file and double-left-click on it, and it should open fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back