Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't use Network Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeaver

MIS
Feb 8, 2002
US
I have one machine that will not connect to a network printer. Everyone else can connect to the printer, and the machine in question can connect to other networked printers. I've deleted and reinstalled the printer, tried attaching it with a net use command, cleared the spool files, but nothing works. As soon as I hit "Print a Test Page", I immediately get an error that the page cannot print. I've gone through all the steps in the Help printing wizard troubleshooter and still can't get it to print. It also doesn't matter who is logged on to the machine, all users get no access to that printer from that computer only.

How did you add the printer to the comp? It might be a UNC problem. If you can browse to the printer via network neighborhood try draging it straight from the comp that is sharing it to you printers folder. Assuming it is a shared printer or is it a printer with a NIC?

what kind of printer model do you use? Jetdirect is installed on a printer? Can you print by using an IP address of the printer?
Can you print Documents on that printer or just the test page does not print?

Please , reply ... I think that I know what's the problem.. ;)

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

The printer is a Mita Point Source 3030 copier with a network card in it. I can connect to it and set it up in any number of ways. I even get a status of ready when I click on it in the printers folder, no offline or unavailable messages. But as soon as I try to send a document to it, I get the no printing allowed messages.

Check the network communication protocol. What are you using on the network? Does the Nic support the type of communication.

Let me know.

Try doing the following:

1- Open a command prompt
2- Ping the printer (write down the IP)
3- type Dir c:\ >"printers IP address"

See if you get a printout.

Another option is:
Go into Start->Settings->Printers
2- Go to File-> Server Properties

Ensure that the proper driver for the printer is installed.

Is the computer that wont connect in a diffrent user group then the others? Have you checked the rights for the printer and made sure you have suffecent privledges to print?

Correct driver has been installed repeatedly. Dir C:\ IP Address does not print anything. Computer is in the same work group as everyone else. This machine could print to that printer until last week. The user was in an excel file that had a macro button that automatically printed the sheet. Ever since clicking that button, things haven't been the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back