Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't use admin tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

JodieK

Instructor
Jul 27, 2001
GB
Hello

Whenever I try to run the administrative tools remotely I get the following error message: naming information cannot be located because the server is not operational.

The server and domain are visible from my network places from the workstations. Users are able to log on to the server, active directory on the server is operational. Everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks

Jodie

how are you trying to run the tools remotly?

via Terminal Services?

I have installed the admin tools from the cd onto the workstations, but every time I try to run them I get that message.

Terminal Services is working fine, but it's the admin tools I need..

which one are you trying to run?
have you look in your event logs for a event id and if so what does it say?

Hello there,

You can try checking if you have any firewalls or configurations in your client PCs that are blocking port # 389, these tools use the port 389 to connect to the server, if there's anything blocking this port (like a firewall) the admin tools will not work.

I have an even greater problem, my server is not even starting lots of services like DNS, FTP, others. If you have a clue and could be so kind to share it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks !!!

Zac

I was having a similar problem. The tools wouldn't initialise on our XP or 2K PC's. Got around it by simply running the admin MMC's via terminal services in admin mode.

Probably not the right way to do it but it works fine for most small things like adding users.

Just dont try and access an ODBC datasource on the server if you have one with the same name on your PC that leads to a different place - ie a test environment. TS will take your local ODBC connection rather than the server.
We were working on some changes on our test server and found that live server was being changed - not good.

Cheers.

Pete.
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back