Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't update using docmd.runsql

Status
Not open for further replies.

davbib

Technical User
Dec 16, 2008
US
Hi

I'm trying to modify a field in a table by calling a function. It runs without error, however the value I'm trying to modify is replaced with a null value rather than the value the function provided. Here is my code:

Public Sub Clean()

Dim Sql
Sql = "Update [tablename] SET [Item] = CleanFunction([Item]) WHERE [shipped by] like 'ACME'"

DoCmd.RunSQL Sql

End Sub

Public Function CleanFunction(Item)

If Item Like "??JD*" Then
Item = Mid(Item, 6, 99)
Else: End If

End Function

Could someone help me out? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here...I've tried combinations of quotes, etc with no success.

You are returning a null value on one of your code paths. Try this:

Public Function CleanFunction(byval sItem as String) As String

If sItem Like "??JD*" Then
sItem = Mid(sItem, 6, 99)
Else
CleanFunction=sItem
End If

End Function

How are ya davbib . . .

One routine will do for this:
Code:
[blue]Public Sub Clean()
   Dim db As DAO.Database, SQL As String

Set db = CurrentDb

SQL = "Update [TableName] " & _
         "SET [Item] = IIf([Item] Like '??JD*',Mid([Item], 6, 99),[Item]) " & _
         "WHERE [shipped by] like 'ACME';"
   db.Execute SQL, dbFailOnError

Set db = Nothing

End Sub[/blue]
[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see faq219-2884 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Greetings VBAJock and Acemam!

VBAJock's code runs, but the result is the same. I end up with a null value in the Item field. The function accurately converts ZZJD1234 to 1234, but my table now shows no item.

Aceman's code is what I started with. I wanted to change to a function since I am having to update the item in multiple tables and I was re-writing the same section of code in my Sub. The clean up I need to do has multiple conditions I need to address, but I just wanted to keep my example simple.

I found it...VBAJock's code works, if you put the Cleanfunction = Sitem AFTER the EndiF. I just needed another cup of coffee to see that.

Thanks again!

If you put it after the Endif, then it is going to return that value no mater what your string parsing does. You might want to look at your pattern ??JD*

davbib . . .

[blue]vbajock's[/blue] code doesn't return [blue]Mid(sItem, 6, 99)[/blue] ... code should be:
Code:
[blue]Public Function CleanFunction(ByVal sItem As String) As String

If sItem Like "??JD*" Then
      [purple][b]CleanFunction[/b][/purple] = Mid(sItem, 6, 99)
   Else
      CleanFunction = sItem
   End If

End Function[/blue]
BTW ... [blue]Mid("ZZJD1234", 6, 99)[/blue] returns [blue]234[/blue]! You'd have to change the starting position to 5 to get [blue]1234[/blue].

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see faq219-2884 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Yes, you are right, I wish I had time to actually run this stuff to debug it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back