Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't update applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancekidd

Technical User
Jan 26, 2009
US
My mother in law has XP pro and she caugh a virus. I used the program called Malwarebytes to remove it. I noticed that her anti-virus software, AVG Free Edition wouldn't update the defintions. Malwarebytes wouldn't update either, just saying updates failed, check internet connection.

I ran the program and it found several trojans and in my haste I did not even write down or look at the name of them. It removed them, but I still can't get these two programs to update.

I followed the suggestions on the AVG site which told me several things to do. I uninstalled both programs, repaired the internet connection, set the TCP/IP settings to "obtain DNS server address automatically," and I restored Windows firewall to default settings. I restarted the PC and then reinstalled the apps. and still am getting the same thing.

I'm figuring the virus messed with something. I ran Hijack this and I saw and entry called wormradar.com and deleted it and it didn't come back, but I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks a lot for you guys help.

Chris

Checkt the HOSTS file...

found here: %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\

standard entries:
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost

and check the Registry entry: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

that it points to the HOSTS file...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Try a System Restore to a date prior to the suspected date the virus may have infected the computer.

This is becoming a fairly common occurrance (you can find simalar threads here with the same conditions). There is some variant out there that has a definate rootkit type of behavior and can prevent av softare from updating or finding it. Use this liveCD to start the cleanup, then you should be able to go back and update your normal antimalware software and complete the cleanup process.
thread760-1521235

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back