Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't unzip recommended cluster package...

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwright007

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I'm also new to Solaris. I am running Solaris 9 on a Ultra 5.

I'm having a problem trying to unzip the files from the package I downloaded from Sun. I am getting messages like this:

unable to process 9_Recommended/113146-06/SUNWapchS/reloc/usr/s
hare/src/apache/mod_perl-1.25/lib/Apache/RegistryNG.pm.
checkdir error: cannot create 9_Recommended
hare/src/apache/mod_perl-1.25/lib/Apache/Resource.pm.
hare/src/apache/mod_perl-1.25/lib/Apache/SIG.pm.

Also, I am trying to get the box to access the internet. I have a router that's connected to my broadband modem. I've set the gateway address as the address of the router but it still won't access the internet. It can ping the router and my other PC's. Any ideas?

Appreciate the help guys/girls!

Cheers.

Do you have DNS information loaded on your Solaris Box? You will need to have the file /etc/resolv.conf which will contains the DNS Server information.

I do not have the file /etc/resolv.conf nor do I have /etc/defaultrouter

I don't understand?!

You will need both... The DNS information you should get from you Internet Service Provider... The file /etc/defaultrouter is the router IP Address.

Looks to me like you have a permissions problem when trying to unzip the archive:
unable to process 9_Recommended/11314606/SUNWapchS/reloc/usr/s

"cannot create" usually implies not enough permissions.

Rick

I don't think it's a permissions problem as I am running the unzip command as root.

I know what DNS information I need and I know the default router details.

The problem I have is that these files do not exist for me to edit them!

Any ideas?

If you have root privileges, create the files. Put the router IP address into /etc/defaultrouter. What other computer do you have your network? You should be able to find the DNS server IP addresses from that computer. Or contact your service provider. Create the file /etc/resolv.conf and put the entries:

nameserver <DNS SERVER IP ADDRESS>

Thanks for the help guys. I'm stil having trouble though. I have created the resolve.conf and defaultrouter files.

The files look like this:

#cat defaultrouter
#

and..

#cat resolve.conf
search blueyonder.co.uk
nameserver 192.168.0.1
#

I've got the name server as that because that is the same setting my other PC uses. I have the DNS address that my ISP uses but I have tried both now and I still can't get DNS to work. If I type (BBC Home Page) it brings up the page but I can't navigate because I don't have DNS functionality.

I also edited the nsswitch.conf file so that it reads:

hosts files dns
iphosts files dns

Still can't get DNS to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

I can believe your PC uses a 192.168 address for your DNS server... Have you check ipconfig /all on your PC?

Yes. My PC is 192.168.0.2, my router is 192.168.0.1, and my Solaris box is 192.168.0.3

ipconfig /all gives the DNS address of 193.38.113.3

I have put this into the resolve.conf file and it still doesn't work. I made a mistake earlier when I said the DNS address shown on my PC was 192.168.0.1. That's actually the DHCP address. Doh!

So, I've changed the DNS address entry on the solaris box but it's still not resolving.

Really stuck now :/

This should activate your dns entries:

cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

Ok. I've done that and rebooted the box but still no DNS. IP addresses still work fine.

I can ping all the boxes on my network.

I'm clueless as to what may be wrong now.

Should your nameserver be your router?

search blueyonder.co.uk
nameserver 192.168.0.1

Try an IP address from this link. ( found through a quick google search )

I've just tested out the following entry and it seemed to work for me.
199.166.29.3 (nl.public.rootfix.net) - Nederland

Yeah, I should have read the entire post. I'd still try the IP 199.166.29.3 for testing though.

Tried using that DNS and it still doesn't work.

I've also tried using the router address as the DNS address and that doesn't work either.

I can't think what it could be. From a network prospective everything is fine. I must have missed something in the config of solaris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back