Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't uninstall Norton AV Corp Edition - lost password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightshift2

Technical User
Mar 23, 2003
CA
I'm running W2k with Norton AV Corp Edition v7.03. I can't remember the password to uninstall. How can I solve this to remove this proggy? Thanks

Default password = symantec

Give that a try. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

You can also push out a new GRC.DAT from the server.

Go to Symantec's KB and look for GRC.DAT (the file), CONFIGED.EXE (an app on the CD to modify GRC.DAT settings directly), and GRCDROP.EXE (an app that "drops" the GRC.DAT into the right directory on the client).

You will have to wait for the AV service on the client to load up the GRC.DAT, or you can restart the service and it will do it immediately.

Using the GRC.DAT, you can remove the password completely or reset it.

How about if someone forgot the Syamantec Security console (I checked symantec, not it) is there a way to recover the password then? I can get into the console that allows you to unlock the server group. The password must have been saved there. I cannot however get into the Symantec Client to check on update revisions at least not on the server. Any ideas??? At some point I will need to do something in there that I am sure is in the protected area.

1) Shut down the service

2) Change this key in registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\ConsolePassword

to value 1084A085DC6BD2D755D4D6A7726

This is the default password: symantec

3) Start the service back up

I'm not going to test that reg change. But You get a star for that tip! [thumbsup2]

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

That reg key worked!

it set the default password back to symantec. Kind of simple, I gues thats why you cant find it on the symantec site :)

Thank you so much for this. I was having the same problem. Worked like a charm.

seanwachob -
How did you convert this: 1084A085DC6BD2D755D4D6A7726
to this: symantec

"Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate!"

smittytech, I'm just taking a guess, but I'd say that seanwachob either still has "symantec" as the default password and then just looked at his registry and saw it was set to 1084A085DC6BD2D755D4D6A7726, or he set it to "symantec" then looked and saw what it would be.

He could have set his password to "whatever" and saw that his reg key was 329DDK93920DKKL0002382 (just made that up) and then told us to change the reg key to the above and use "whatever" as the password.

seanwachob, is this what you did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back