Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't turn off ringing at ext 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhowell

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2008
US
OK, This should be a no brainer, BUT.
I have 3 extensions that are not assigned to VMS and that I do not want to ring at any time. They are just for calling out. I have set the three extensions in central tel programing for no ring on the three incoming lines.

They are still ringing?

Partner PACS R7.0 91E with VM PC card R3L.

Easy fix:
Program a button for Do Not Disturb (F01), and make sure DND is turned on. This will prohibit any calls from ringing, including intercom calls.

That's the simplest answer, but there are other things that could be causing it to ring in the first place.

Check Night Ring - if night ring is turned on and the phone is in the night ring group, the phone will ring even if it is set to "no ring" in central tel programming.

Also if another extension is forwarded to your extension(s) in question, the phone will ring for incoming calls that would ordinarily ring at the forwarding location.

Also if another extension is forwarded to your extension(s) in question, the phone will ring for incoming calls that would ordinarily ring at the forwarding location.

It's even worse than that!

If Ext. A is set for No Ring, and is forwarded to Ext. B, which is also set for No Ring, Ext. B will now get Immediate Ring for all lines on the set - even though neither of the extensions normally ring on incoming!!

(Found that out when using my spare phone for programming in the phone closet. Move the connecting cord for Ext. 10 to a free port (Ext. 25), plug my phone in at 10 for programming, copy 10 to 25, forward 10 to 25, voila! Even though the system is set for the Auto Attendant to answer first, and Ext. 10 (and now Ext. 25) for No Ring, the Operator gets Immediate Ring before the AA answers)

The (FO1) will resolve the immediate problem. I think the night ring setting is probably the reason that turning off the ringer didn't work. Will go back and check.

""It's even worse than that!""
I am begining to find that out. Some of these weird problems can happen from a simple setting that doesn't seem to be connected to the issue. What a learning curve.

Thank for your experience and help

the forwarding will only ring on the target phone if the forwarding phone is on a delayed ring for the lines, if the lines are set to no ring then all is good.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back