Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't turn French spell checker off!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohuett

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
US
I have a PC running Win98SE and Office 2K. When I spell check a document in Word, the language it spell checks in starts off as English and then changes halfway through to check in French. I don't know how to turn this off!! I only want to spell check in English. I don't have any of the Spanish or French proofing tools installed. Does anyone know how to turn this option off?

You might want to try going tools, language, set language, and deselect "detect language automatically" Hope this works.

I went to try that and that option is "grayed out." I can't select or de-select that box. Any more ideas?

I noticed that when I go to tools, language, set language that to the left of English there is the "spell check" icon next to it.(it's a little check mark with "abc" next to it.) When I scroll down, it is also next to all of the French options too. I have tried everything that I know how (right click, double click, click and drag, etc...) to get that icon to go away on the French options. There has to be a way to take that icon off...can someone please help?

What you need to do is go Start, Settings, Control panel, Add/Remove Programs; find Micrsoft Office, go to change (or add/remove); select add/or remove components; Office tools, French Proofing tools, Speller, Not available.

HTH

Indu

That doesn't work b/c I don't have any of the proofing tools installed to begin with. Anyone have any other ideas?

One of these has to fix the problem:

Go to Start, Setting, Control Panel, Regional Settings. Make sure under the General Tab, your Locale is English (hopefully that's what you want). Just below, make sure none of the countries have been checked off.

Go to Input Locales tab, click and remove any of the languages you don't need. Also, remove the checkmark from "Enable Indicator on Taskbar"

Startup Word, you porbably don't have any French spell check any more under Tools, Languages.

Also a good idea:

Tools, Options, Edit tab, uncheck Auto-keyboard switching

Some of the Styles may be set to French, You may want to check that (Long shot)

HTH

Indu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back