Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Telnet from windows NT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch77

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
PT
Hi,
I just install Redhat 7.2 Server.
When i try telnet(Windows NT) to that machine(linux), i've got the following error message :

could not open connection to the host on port 23.
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Thank's
Mitch

Hi,

Everything depends on the configuration of your Red-Hat system.
I think that the most recent distributions of Linux, like Red Hat 7.2, standard install a secure telnet server in place of an ordinary non-secure telnet server. This means that your Red Hat system uses a SSL to connect with telnet. Therefor you need to use a secure telnet client on your NT-system. (For example: This will connect to your Red Hat system using SSL and at port 22. (normal telnet uses port 23, secure telnet uses port 22)

Hope this is usefull

Hi,

As at 7.2, redhat were still shipping a 'regular' telnet-server rpm and the default with xinetd is now 'on'.

So, if you can't get the logon prompt up remotely it will be due to the lokkit firewall which you can configure as root :

# /usr/sbin/lokkit

Either allow telnet/port 23 or set the lan interface as trusted then...

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains restart

.. and try again

Please note, you can't telnet as 'root' due to the PAM security config . The workaround is to telnet as regular user and 'su' from that session. Its all unencrypted though.

Better, install openssh (all of the rpms beginning with openssh - e.g. openssh, openssh-server, openssh-clients) and then use a ssh client on windows like PuTTY -->

Hope this helps

make sure the username that you are using allows is part of the telnet group.
-N
SSH is better.....you should use that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back