Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Telnet from NT server to Red Hat Linux Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawki

Programmer
Oct 16, 1999
US
Can someone help me with setting up my Linux server so I can telnet to it from my NT server. I keep getting the message below:<br>
<br>
Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)<br>
Kernel 2.0.36 on an i586<br>
login: root<br>
Password:<br>
Login incorrect<br>
<br>
What do I need to do as far a a Login account. I'm using Root as login and entering a password. Also, using port 5000 and modified /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf files.<br>
<br>

I know that by a security default, you can't login as root through telnet. There is a way to change that but I can't seem to find it in my resources right now. Perhaps someone else can give us some input. To get around this, create a different user for yourself (which is a good idea anyway - an account without superuser privileges for everyday tasks). You can then telnet in using that account.<br>
<br>
Good luck.

...and if you give that other user account 'superuser' status, then after you log in, all you have to do is type 'su', enter your root password, and you become the root user temporarily. When you type 'exit' you will be back as the regular user, and 'exit' again will log you out. Also try 'su -' (I think that's it) to log in as root with all the login scripts and environment settings you normally have as root.<br>
<br>
This is a major strength over the NT model where you have to completely log out, and close all running programs in order to change to Administrator just to do even the smallest task that requires Administrator priviledges.

Actually, it's BAD Practice to telnet as root! You should never do that. Anyone can sniff your password easily when you telnet as root and will own you and you won't have a clue!<br>
If you insist on telnetting as root, remove the file<br>
/etc/securetty<br>
This will allow you to telnet as root.<br>
Be warned! It's a BAD Idea! you should just telnet as a normal user and then su..<br>
<br>
Lanlord<br>

I don't think is a good idea to remove that file (securetty).<br>
Much better if you just add the kind of terminals that can have acces as root. ttyS?, ttyp? etc<br>
<br>
Good luck

With your help I was able to telnet from the NT server to the Red Hat server. This is my personal test network so I starting with understanding the basic concept and then correct it as if it will be used in production. The reason I needed the ability to telnet is to use Hummingbird Exceed on the NT server accessing X-Windows on the Linux server. Next I'm working on installing Oracle 8i on the Linux server.

Exceed is a collection of utilities for accessing Unix from Windows. Best known as a X server for M$, but includes plenty of other things like lpd daemon, ftp client, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back