Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Telnet and FTP into my Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

taneujin

MIS
Aug 14, 2001
SG
I just installed RH7.2 but I can't seem to telnet or ftp from outside to my machine. Is there something I have to edit? I did not have a firewall in the server,

First, I strongly recommend that you not run telnet on your machine. It is not secure, and sshd is readily available for Linux.

Is the IP address on your machine a private address or a routeable address? If it's private does some firewall or router external to your machine know how to forward to your machine?

Do you have a default gateway configured on your machine?

Are your daemons running? ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

Its a private IP and there is no firewall blocking.
But I guess hte problem lies with the daemon.

I don't know how to check if they are running.

If they are not running, how do I start them?

redhat install a firewall by default (iptables) it do not let incomming connection to your pc, so you must disable it:
#iptables -F
#iptables -t nat -F

to not start iptables rules at startup do this :
#chkconfig --level 2345 iptables off

NB: you can see the the actual config by this
#chkconfig --list iptables

If you really want to run telnet, and not ssh which is freely available from by the way, then you probably want to launch the telnet daemon from xinetd. Open the /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file in a text editor (vi) and change the "disable = yes" line to "disable = no". Then restart the xinetd service with the "service xinetd restart" command.

ChrisP

Thanks alot fluid11

Do I enable FTP from there too?
I have already installed wu-ftp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back