Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't stop phantom calls on my NEC SV8100

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgeniela

MIS
Nov 30, 2005
US
I have a PBX (NEC sv8100) connected to a FIOS Land Line service(Frontier). I get phantom calls at all hours and can't stop them. Usually calls will occur on both landline numbers at the same time. The ring tone will ring twice and then degenerate into continuous static. The system voicemail will answer but a blank message is left. The caller id says "Outside Caller", but no number. Return call service (*76) and call logs show no call. Blocking services (NoMoRoBo.com) and unidentified caller block (*77) don't work. I'm at my wits end. Can anyone suggest how to get rid of these annoyances? Thanks for any help

I would recommend installing DSL phone line filters on the line. We have had issues with Verizon lines in the past (On a different phone system)this has corrected misc issues like phantom calls, static on the lines ETC...

I tried your suggestion of DSL filters and it did not stop the calls or the static. Maybe those calls are SIP probes. If so, how can we stop them?

Have you put a butt set on the line? I have seen this where the carrier is sending MWI indicator on that line and the system thinks its a call.

I haven't tried that yet. What would I be looking for and what can I do about it if your suggestion is right? Also would I have to connect the butt set when the "call" is made. If so, that would be hard, since most of these "calls" happen in the middle of the night.

I have tracked a very similar problem on an SV8100, which was caused by unused CO lines in the 8100. A normal call on an active line with Caller ID would actually trigger an adjacently unused CO line to erroneously 'detect' ringing, ring once and default to static. There are 2 ways to fix this. Turn off 14-02 10 Caller ID for all unused CO lines or simply wire a short across Tip and Ring of all unused CO lines.

Apparently, this issue was something that Frontier was familiar with. In addition to my own answering machine (PBX), I had Frontier's message service as backup. This service sends a signal(the stutter dial tone)to the subscriber indicating a message waiting. Because this issue was caused by the Message Waiting Indicator (WMI), they suggested I remove the ISP's answering service from my profile. I did and the phantom calls stopped. FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back