Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't stop Feathering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmears1

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
I am trying to create a border around an image. To achieve this I am doing the following:
1 Select All
2 Select -> Modify -> Border
3 Width: 10 px
4 Select -> Modify -> Smooth
5 Radius: 5 px

My problem is that it is feathering when I fill the selection. What am I doing wrong? Feather is set to 0 px. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks inadvance for any suggestions.

I never could figure out that PhotoShop Border but I do have a workaround.
On a new layer;
1 Select All
2 Select -> Modify -> Smooth
3 Radius: 10 px
4 Select -> Modify -> Contact
5 Contract By: 10 px
6 Delete

Tony Perkins

Thanks for the reply tperkins...I gave your suggestion a try but after selecting all, the only selectable option I have uner Modify is "Border." I think this is why it is feathering all selections. I can only chose Smooth, Expand or Contract after selecting Border first. Maybe I need to do a reinstall? It only started doing this recently.
Thanks again...

That is what the Border feature does, it's a feathered selection.

Here's what I do to achieve what you want dmears1:

1) Double click your image if it's the background layer to make it a regular layer.
2) Use the crop tool to drag out some extra canvas all around the image.
3) Use the magic wand to click in the transparent area around the image to select the transparency.
4) Go to Select>Mofify>Expand>10
5) Go to Select>Modify>Smooth>5
6) With the selection still active, make a new layer and fill that with your colour.
7) To bring the image back to it's original cropped size, just control click on the image layer thumbnail in the Layers Pallete which will select all the images pixels and then go to Image>Crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back