Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't stop an active backup job

Status
Not open for further replies.

ividal

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
I'm using Arcserve 6.6 on Novell 5.1 server. I've had months of successful nightly backups (full). Problem is last Thursday's backup is still active. I can't seem to force it to end and therefore can't continue with any subsequent backups. All the system info indicates a good backup but it appears that the verify process is holding the job active. How can I force the job to stop? Should I deactivate Arcserve then restart, or should I unload the Arcserve NLM the reload it?

It's difficult to continue waiting...it has already been 3 and a half days and it has not progressed any since Friday morning...any other suggestions?

If the job is truly hung, which has happened to me before, you cannot unload arcserve. Try the astop6.ncf and if it unloads great. If not the only way is to down and restart server (which I would suggest either way). I have had it hang even after trying to down server (the console lists all the files open, are you sure you want to down? Answer yes) and had to go into debug and down it. You already have more patience than I do, I would have never made it past the 2nd day.

Good luck,

Mark ;-)

Thanks for the info guys. The Astop6 attempted to unload ARCserve, then hung with an "other services may have been affected" message. After a reboot the server came up okay.

s-)

If this happens again, you could try to stop the process asrunjob either in task manager, or using a file called kill.exe or again using another tool called pskill "pskill \\servername asrunjob.

This may sound like a daft comment to make, but I came accross this recently and couldn't get anything to stop the little blighter. When I switched between windows nothing came to light and I was continually told the device was busy. I was looking too deep..........if I had minimized all windows I would have seen there was an alert sitting behind the screen (always a good place to hide it I think, I find it very useful). Once the warning was okayed I regained full control.

Okay, so it may seem like a daft thing to mention, but sometimes we can't see the woods for the trees!!

Regards

Paul
:eek:) Paul Wright
Senior IT Consultant
Worthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back