Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't start Postfix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rary

Programmer
Sep 16, 2006
CA
I seem to have messed something up on my server and I'm not sure where to look to figure this out. Here's what happened:

My server is running Fedora Core 5.

First, I installed Postfix from source (version 2.3.0). I didn't end up doing anything with that, and eventually I removed it.

Later, I installed Postfix using an RPM (2.2.8). I played around with some configuration and tried to start the service. All it said was "Failed". Checking /var/log/maillog says "fatal: the Postfix mail system is already running".

I can't locate any running processes that look to me like they should be preventing Postfix from starting up.

I've tried removing Postfix and installing Sendmail, and I have no problem starting/stopping Sendmail. Then I remove Sendmail and re-install Postfix, and still get the same error message trying to start it.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for to resolve this?

Did you try to locate master.pid file where postfix stores its process id?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back