Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't start Internet Explorer in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefite

Technical User
Mar 8, 2007
US
When I try to open Internet Explorer I get the message "Unable To Locate Component' This application has failed to start because msvcrl.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" I have use a backdoor method by opening windows explore and intering the URL in the address bar.
The problem is that when I try to find info on this file I learn that it is most likely to be spyware or a trojan of some sort. How can I turn of the switch that looks for that file?

There's not a 'switch' to exclude parts of IE. I assume that you're using Windows Explorer to browse now. This is not actuall the same as IE. Start with this fix Then do some thorough virus scans & spyware scans. There are several forums & FAQ's that should help.

Simple question that you've probably already done... Have you checked the registry for entries related to msvcrl.dll? You may be able to get rid of the "component request" by deleting reg entries. Of course, you'll want to back up the REG before doing ANY editing. Best wishes!

Can you confirm that the message is about msvcrl.dll and not some similar .dll such as "msvcrt.dll was not found".

Which version of IE are you using?

Perhaps a visit here will get you going in the right direction.

Removing adware & spyware
How to beat your advertising popups & other browser nasties
FAQ608-3482

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hi-jack log file - Best Practices
FAQ608-4650

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes in IE6).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes (IE6+7).

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off."

If that stops your errors, you will know where the trouble is.

IE7 has an option to run without "Add-ons" when launched from the System Tools folder, or right-clicked on the IE7 icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back