Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't share printer win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
I've got a situation where we have an HP laser printer installed on a win2000 notebook via usb, and have it shared. I can see it on the 2 XP machines, (peer-to-peer network), but when I try to access it is says I don't have permission. If I go into My Network Places, I can see the win2000 machine, but I have to login to access it, using the user's login and password, then I can access the shared printer. How can I connect without having to login each time?

You could map a network drive to the machine and then reconnect at login.

Or, you need to make the username and the passwords on both machines match.

This applies to a peer-to-peer network.

Regards.

Erik

Went out to the site this morning and I'm halfway there. I added both the usernames to the win2000 machine with administrator privledges.. One has a password, the other one doesn't. The one without the password now can see the win2000 machine fine and can access the printer with no problem. The one with the password cannot - it still asks for a username and password when you click the computer icon in "show workgroup computers". This machine can access the two other machines on the network with no problem (both xp). Can't see any firewall issues and verified the username and password are correct. Any ideas?

You need to add the Authenticated user or the Everyone group to this share with admin permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back