Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant share files between 3 shared networked computer in a workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2002
US
I have just recently setup 3 PC's all running windows 98 second edition using a Linksys Router to print and share files. I have enable all the file sharing and printsharing to all the computers so that it will be able to copy from one computer to the other. I have also shared the hard drives givin g everyone Admin or full accesss to each of the computers hard drive.
Everyone can see each other in the network and see all the shared hard drives between the computers from all three computers. Now the problem that I am having is being able to copy any files to another computer from the other computers. Nor can I try to connect to the printer on one of the main computer that has the printer installed on it. When I try to copy a file it will try to copy and show up on the other computer but it has 0 bytes. Meaning somehow it is not copying the file. When I try to connect to the printer from another computer it says it cannot find the drivers nor printer.
Remember all three computers can see each other on the network or workgroup and all file sharing and print sharing has been enable on all computer. But why can't I copy any files from one computer to the next nor connect to the printer on the computer that has the printer.
Anyone have any suggestion or idea I may be able to fix this problem.

Thanks...

Sounds like the permissions are not properly being set. Check the confiuration of your network and make sure that the settings are identical across the network. You might also try using an OS more capable of handling networking, something like Windows NT/2000/XP. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Permissions and settings looks all the same between all three computers. Yes, I can go to windows 2000 or NT 4.0 but these machines are 150mhz and one of them got 16mb of memory only. They are not my machines they are a friend that I am trying to setup for.

I know they are sucky computer but he knows nothing about computers and just want to start with this so that he can break and fix and learn. I feel that they suck bad and needs upgrade but I dont think he wants to shed up any other money to upgrade these slow slow ancient computer either.

You're using 98 - so what does this mean 'I have also shared the hard drives givin g everyone Admin or full accesss '. Assuming you have share level access control (the default) and have not specified any passwords, everybody should just have full access to shares. There is no admin in 98 - so I'm just wondering exactly what you've done. Care to post the steps you took?

PS. is a good resource for networking

When I say that i gave everyone Admin or full access I'm just referring to that I made sure that everyone had full access and control to each of the other computers. 98 does not have admin settings like in WINNT4.0/2000/XP but I just like to reference it like that for simplier terms as yes I did give everyone full access to it. I hope I didnt confuse ya when I said that.

InvalidIUser,

Please post the steps you've taken. I've set up what you're trying many times with no problems. If you just share the drives/folders/printers giving users full (not read) permissions and setting no password, you should be ok. also, you need to 'install' the printer on each machine which wants to print to it (this will install drivers). You can't just 'connect' to it.

Hi,
I probably won't contribute much that is usefull to your problem except to tell you that I recently had similar problems trying to get 3 p.c.'s to talk to each other over a 100MB/s D-Link cable and a DSS-5+ D-Link switch. Longest cable run was about 20m. We had to make up the 20m cable. First problem we encountered was that we did not terminate the ends of the home-made cable properly, (got 2 cores mixed up), but even so, we still many hours trying to get the system to work. Two p.c.'s had WIN-ME and one had Win2k-Prof. The system finally came right and it seems that the main problem is that the two ME users had to have a log-on and password on the Win2kProf p.c., even though there was a shared directory. It took ages for the 3 machines to see each other via the network after boot-up, although nowadays, everything works fine. Why? Don't know. Also, I remember some years ago I worked for a company using Microsoft for most applications but they used Novell Netware for networking. In my ignorance I asked the MIS manager why this was so. He told me that Novell always worked and that MS networking was hopeless. Bye. DM.

make sure u have a protocol for file and printer sharing set up and on the pc's that the printer is not on you need to goto add new printer and pick lan printer and install that..hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back