Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't setup as only server on network - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunky28

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
GB
I've opened this thread as my previous thread relating to my Windows 2000 server install problems became too long.

I recently formatted my pc and reinstalled 2000 server following recommendations made in my previous thread.

I am about to configure the server but when I attempt to select "this is the only server in my network" I get the following message.

Because one or more servers already exist, you cannot configure this server as the only server on the network.

There are no other servers on my network but I think this may be due to the fact that other machines on the network still think there is a domain named 'datachase' used in the previous server configuration.

Does anyone know how I can get round this?

Thanks

Charlie

Have you tried doing the install with the network cable unplugged?

I was about to try that but I wanted some expert advice before I go ahead with it.... as I don't really want to reinstall again etc..

I unplugged the network cable and the message in question doesn't appear. But do you know if I can go through the active directory, dns wizards etc. without being connected?

Thanks for the reponse

Charlie

If your new server is the only one on the network then you shouldn't have a problem, as you are creating a new AD from scratch anyway. You will need to reconfigure the clients once the new server is built though, as they will be trying to connect to the old domain.

The configuration wizard says that it will automatically configure this server as a domain controller and set up Active Directory, DHCP and DNS on the network.

I don't want to configure dhcp at this time so is it possible to set up dns and ad without dhcp? then maybe set up dhcp at a later date?

Thanks

Charlie

oh I forgot.

Am I right that I just need to specify an IP address, subnet, and gateway prior to running the wizards?

I.E leave dns configuration alone in TCP/IP properties sheet and set this up using the configuration wizards?

Cheers

Charlie

You must be isolated first.. Use another HUB or a loopback plug as you can't continue because the network status will be disconnected..

If you let dcpromo create a dns server then it configures your network adapter's dns settings for you.

Ricpinto

sorry...i'm a newbie to all this..

Is this possible uisng a Microsoft loopback adapter? or is it best to have a connection to a different hub and the internet?

thanks

danbiggs

would you suggest using the main server wizards presented on the "windows 2000 server configure your server" or using dcpromo?

I'm not sure which order to configure these components if I don't use the main wizard which as said says:

'it will automatically configure this server as a domain controller and set up Active Directory, DHCP and DNS on the network.'

dcpromo says it configures ad. Does it configure dns too?

Any tips will be appreciated

Thanks

Charlie

sorry didn't read your note properly!!!

dcpromo configures dns too.

thanks

Charlie

B4 using dc promo, remove all the lan cable from one of the hub or switch but the LAN cable for your sever. I mean leave the LAN cable of the server in one of the hub/switch alone, you can connect back the other LAN cables once Active Directory/DNS was completely installed.. You will received a network error if you continue DCPROMO with LAN cable unplug from your server network adapter.

I now have my server machine plugged into a switch. Do I need to connect the router too?

Because when I do I get the same message as before:

Because one or more servers already exist, you cannot configure this server as the only server on the network.

Thanks

Charlie

Leave everything out including your router.. Server is alone in the switch.

Leave everything out including your router.. Server is alone in the switch.

Plug everything back when your Active directory is up and running.. after plugging everything back, it's time to configure your AD to communicate with the other machines.

Thanks Ricpinto

I created a dns server then attempted to setup ad using dcpromo.

I attempted it this way following this advise I found:

"with Windows 2000 I definitely suggest setting up DNS first, and then AD. If not, you'll end up without Root Hints, and a lack of a path to the Internet root servers (not to mention forwarding capabilities). This isn't hard to fix, but it is annoying."

As you suggested I set it up with just the server alone in the switch.

However when I come to setting up ad with dcpromo I get the following message:

"The wizard cannot contact the DNS server that handles the name "datachase.local" to determine if it supports dynamic update. Confirm your DNS configuration, or install and configure a DNS server on this machine"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Charlie

I overlook the some of the hints that they given 2 you previuosly.. Anyway what they r trying to tell you is that set up dns first b4 dcpromo but as they told you it can be fixed if you've already dcpromo and create dns afterwards.

I can't reply u anymore I will have a long weekend because of holyweek.. Good luck... Just read all the previuos hints that are related to your problem now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back