Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant set up a local instance of oracle 8i on my machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdencawfield

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
Hello All,

I am trying to set up a demo version of oracle 8i on my desktop. All is loaded, but I am get an ora 12560 TNS protocol adapter error when I try to get into sql plus. Is there anyone that could tell me what needs to be set up? I am assuming that there is something wrong with my TNSnames.ora file, but since this is not going over a network, am not sure how to configure it.

Thanks for any help

could you post the:

tnsnames.ora entry for the db you're trying to connect to
listener.ora file for the same db

also -- is the listener service for that db running?
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

The best thing you can do is
use db assistent and create new database.
you can delete the previous one.if you do not know
enough abaout the Oracle use the options typical.

Good luck

If you are setting it up on Windows 2000, go to the control palne/administrative tools/services screen and make sure the OracleService and Listener are started. You can set these to automatic if you have a good deal of memory. Then your instance will always be mounted and open whenever you want to use SQL*Plus or other methods. Try it and see how your performance is.

The Universal Installer should perform pretty much all of the work for you after you have identified your Oracle Home. It runs alot of the scripts required to get you up and running including creating a user (scott/tiger) and a sample schema.

The protocol adapter error you are getting sounds like the listener is not running. It would be a shame to go through the trouble of deleting the entire database and creating another before checking your listener.

Hi ,
I don't know about Oracle 8i but same problem I faced with Oracle 8 .

that time i created servicename
To create new service name
startup menu -> Programs -> oracle windows 95-> above oracle 8 easy config. there is option select that one and create new service name .

after that check wheather connection isdone or not using Oracle net 8 easy configration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back