Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Set Display Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamafopa

MIS
Mar 1, 2001
CA
Had this problem at a client site yesterday. Since we were hurrying to solve a separate problem that had client's machine down, I did not have time to look in detail.

Machine is on a domain and user account comes from domain. Domain user account has local Administrator permissions. However when you open the display properties page to set resolution and so forth, there is no 'Settings' tab. It is simply not there, so you can't make any display adjustments.

However if you log on to machine as local Administrator, the settings tab is there and it functions. Any settings you change as Administrator are persistant when you log back in using Domain account.

Tried a new driver for ATI card and Iiyama monitor, with no luck. Had a quick peek in BIOS, but found nothing likely. Any insights would be welcome!

yamafopa!

Have you tried that same logon on another machine? Still a problem there?

In all likelyhood, the problem is with the permissions setup for that user on the Domain. This user apprently has no "real" rights assigned.

Good luck, and Happy Computing

Check the policy on that machine or user account. Perhaps it's set to not allow a change in Properties. We do this for our PC's in our Public Room.

dljohnson69

Couldn't test this as had no physical access to other PC's. Client site is pretty secure...

mjinks61

Is it possible that when I made the domain user a memeber of the local administrators group, that these permissions are overridden by permissions set by the clients Network Admin on the domain user account?

BFOJ

Have to admit to being a bit over my head in this stuff. Don't really know anything about Policies. Do you mean settings that can be set using gpedit.msc? If so, I looked around in there and could not see anything on point. Is there some other way to set user policies that I am not aware of (pretty likely!).

Thanks for your help...

The rights for this user will have to be set on domain server. The rights/policies set on the domain will override any and all of the rights associated with that user on the local machine.

Good luck, and Happy Computing

Could policies or permissions be set to stop "refresh frequency" (under monitor in advanced settings for display properties) from being changed or to show only one setting?

I ask as I'm unable to change my frequency from anything other than 60 Hz.

See the following thread for more info:

thread602-559869

Cheers

mjinks

Sorry if I sound dense, but I have never seen a place on Server or Workstation where this level of specificity regarding rights or policies could be set. Could you give me an idea of where to look for this. More for interest than anything, now.

Thanks

yamafopa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back