Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't send mail via SMPT server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J741

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
CA
I have a situation in which a user with a notebook computer has 5 different e-mail accounts from 3 different ISPs. He uses his notebook regularily from no less than 3 different locations each week. Now, when he attepts to send e-mail he usually gets a bounced message stating 'Relaying not allowed', This is because each of the 3 ISPs he uses (from each physical location) have security measures in place which do not allow the transmission of e-mail though the outgoing SMTP mail server unless the computer is physically connected to that ISP's network. So, each time the user physically goes to a different location, he must manually change the outgoing SMTP server in the configuraiton of each of his 5 e-mail accounts. This is a VERY undesirable situation. Each of the 3 ISP's in quesiton also do not allow use of the SMTP server from outside their network under any circumstances, not even with the use of an authenticaiton login. They all claim the only way to send e-mail when not physically connected to their network is to use their 'webmail' internet page.

I have thought of trying to find an unsecure 'open relay' server somewhere and use that, but I don't want his e-mails to be filter as spam by any junk mail fintering software which automatically block messages transmitted from known 'open relay' servers.

So can anyone help me find a reliable, permanent solution to this problem? And suggestions to only use the notebook in one location, or only use one ISP, or such are not acceptable.

My memory is not as good as it should be, and neither is my memory.

I have forgotten more than I can remember

Why not get one account for all his email? Or you could maybe set up profiles for each location and log on with those.

The answer is "42"

Get a gmail account & configure the system to always send through that account. Specify the correct 'reply to' details in each account's settings & most people won't even notice.

Thanks 'smah', but gmail automatically changes the 'from' address to my gmail account, and not the e-mail address I actually want to look like it came from.

Any other suggestions.

- James.

J741 I feel your pain, I have the same exact problem and I get told the same thing: "Use our webmail feature", obviously this is not acceptable since most of use have all of our contacts and history in Outlook. I was never able to find a solution for this. Sorry

** PROBLEM SOLVED **

After setting up a Google GMAIL account, enabling it for use with POP 7 SMTP, and using it's SMTP servers with a secure login for outgoing mail, everything I sent was modified to show that it came from my GMAIL account instead of the desired 'from' address. The solution was to register each of my additional (non-GMAIL) e-mail addresses within my GMAIL account. After I did this, the 'from' address is not replaced by my GMAIL address, as long as it is one of the registered addresses.

- James.

** WRONG - Problem NOT solved **

I was mistaken about the results, as they were performed using Microsoft Outlook Express to test the resulting e-mail's 'from' header information (which showed the desired 'from' address). But When other e-mail clients are used to read the e-mail (specificaly Microsft Outlook) it will say 'from user@gmail.com on behalf of user@domain.com'. Which is NOT want we want to happen.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

- James.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back